Malapascua Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcolman

Contributor
Reaction score
Who would you recommend:

Exotic Island Dive Resort

- or -

Thresher Shark Divers.

HELP!! too many choices ...

TNX

Rick.

Exotic... but then I've only been on Malapascua once... Exotic has their own rooms, so nice and convenient for those early morning thresher shark dives...

I recall some people mentioning that TSD does their thresher dives later in the morning than the rest of the Malapascua dive ops. Maybe to avoid the crowds, but I would worry that it might reduce their window opportunity to see the thresher sharks... Might want to email them and ask them why?

I went with Exotic and they did the thresher dive at the time requested by the group - which was late by everyone else's standard. We saw a thresher and none of the earlier groups did, no matter which shop they were with. This was just one day's experience though and if you are not with a group, you may not have the option.

Depends on whether you like to book your dives and accomodations with the same operator. Just dived with TSD earlier last week twice at Monad Shoal without spotting a single shark. They run a pretty competent operation but they put us in a *********** of a place with intermittent cold water supply.

Exotic on the other hand seems to have one of the more comfortable resorts on the island (with hot water) but have been known to get prissy if you dived elsewhere. They appear to run a good dive op tho.

It may be cheaper to commit to a single dive op once you settle in. You won't get much of a bargain shopping around the 5-6 shops on the island and they are all fairly nice.

In my humble opinion you get what ya pay for, 2 years ago I had an unpleasant experience with TSD. My trip happened to coincide w/ a whole weekend Island fiesta that TSD management failed to inform me of, there boat operators and staff were all inebriated and failed to pick my party up from the main land as agreed upon. The next day the staff told me there would be no diving, wrong answer!!! So I decided to dive with Exotic and was more than pleased with thier entire operation, top notch, if I ever return, Exotic all the way.

I just came back from Malapascua two days ago. I dived & stayed at Exotic for 5 days & would definitely recommend them. Very well run dive operation with knowleadgeable DMs & friendly crews. The rooms are also well kept with 24 hrs electricity running, unlike other resorts that have only 8 hrs of electricity supply. A plus for photographers. Another plus point was the food service at the restaurant. Only 15-20 mins wait as compared to one meal we had at Hippocampus, one & half hour wait.

Service wise...Go with Exotic & you'll not be disappointed. No guarantee for the thresher sharks though. I did 4 morning dives at Monad Shoal but didn't get to see them :) Can't blame anyone except probably the wrong season..

Jovin-

Hi Jovin... must have just missed you. Was there with another huge Singapore contigent who also did not see any thresher sharks in the week between Christmas and New Years. Hope the weather got better tho! Did you eat at La Dolce Vita? Best italian food I've had in a long time... at 25% off the price of Pregos! :)

Traminer:
Hi Jovin... must have just missed you. Was there with another huge Singapore contigent who also did not see any thresher sharks in the week between Christmas and New Years. Hope the weather got better tho! Did you eat at La Dolce Vita? Best italian food I've had in a long time... at 25% off the price of Pregos! :)

Ya, we had a BIG party at that italian restaurant on our last night, 20 plus of us on the white sandy beach, under the stars. Awesome company & great atmosphere. :D

thanks for the valuable info about mala. We tried to get more info from TSD (as an alternative to Sogod Bay) but they were slow to respond. Not only that ,they accused my cousin who was there of us "fishing" for prices...jeez. A huge misunderstanding on their part but we just felt frustrated and went with SB. Glad to report that was awesome!

exotic here we come!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom