Making the move to Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooners

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Heyllo folks!

Well like the title says looks like Im gonna be moving to Florida! Panama City to be exact. Just had a few questions and hope some of yall can help. Anyone familiar with any good dive shops down there and any charters you recommend?

Thanks for the info! Cant wait to start diving there ASAP! :D

Hello,
You might want to repost this in the main section of Dixie Divers. Most of the members of this club are in Pensacola. And, it has been awhile since I dove out of Panama City. Nice dives and a nice charter, but, I forget the names. Panama City and Pensacola has primarily wrecks and Destin has a few wrecks and some nice natural bottom. Also, Destin usually has the best visibility in the panhandle. And, there are some great spring dives north of Panama City. Check out the post for Morrison and Cypress Springs. Get the book "Diving Guide to Underwater Florida" by Ned Deloach. Some of the info is a little dated but still alot of great information. Also, if you plan to dive this winter or hit the springs, put a 5mm wet suit on your Christmas list if you don't have one.
Good luck on your move and welcome to Florida.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Yup 5mm has been on my list for some time! So the vis isnt to great in that area? Is that the case close to shore or out deep as well?

Hey, Welcome to Florida. I think you will be VERY happy with your decision to move down here. Florida has a lot of fantastic diving along the "Emerald coast" from Panama City to Pensacola. The viz is usually 50 feet this time of the year with the colder water but the viz is down a bit right now due to TS Ida a few weeks ago. The viz during the summer time was awesome this year as well with some of the offshore sights getting into the 100' range. There are a ton of charters in the Panama City area and at least 3 dive shops that I frequent. My favorite shop is by far Panama City Dive Locker, both for Charters and gear. They have a full service shop that is second to none in the area. Look 'em up and tell them that the West Florida Dive Club sent you!

You are very close to Morrison Springs further to the east. Yes, it is fresh water but it is a great place to have fun.

While stationed at Keesler AFB, we used to take our students there for their "open water" proficiency in the 60's

Tom

Yeah TOM, its a great place when its clear, we have had too much rain. Dove their a few months ago, great place to go. The state just went in and redone the entire park with great bathrooms,cooking area, pavilion and a fantastic walkway with a setup station aslong with a platform. Its about 100miles east of pensacola.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom