Making LP Seats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancurrent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Has anyone here figured out the process of making generic LP seats (for example out of EPDM)? I would be interested to find out where can one get the right material sheets and which cookie cutters work best. Would I be correct to assume that the only two parameters necessary to make a reproduction seat are the diameter and thickness?

My question is general, since I have a bunch of different regs that I maintain and am looking for a way to stock up on various generic seats while avoiding the overpriced service kits and the whole "you can't service your own reg" shibang.

Also, I just got a nice looking older unbalanced Cressi second stage (see photo), which looks like new but has quite a deep impression in the seat from sitting around with all the characteristic malfunctions. Does anyone know anything about this reg (which other reg has it beet cloned from, what is the source of the seat, etc?)?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• cressi1.jpg
    cressi1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 56
Thank you kindly, awap. Now replacing the seats on these unbalanced ScubaPro regs should be a breeze.

About this Cressi... I took measurements of the seat. It looks like 7x1 mm. The diameter is a close match to a 9/32 punch so no problem there. However I couldn't find EPDM in 1mm (0.39 in) thickness on M-C. The closes one they have is 0.8 mm (1/32 in). Do you think that this 0.2 mm difference would cause any issues? Since the orifice is adjustable at first sight it seems like it may just work...

Thank you kindly, awap. Now replacing the seats on these unbalanced ScubaPro regs should be a breeze.

About this Cressi... I took measurements of the seat. It looks like 7x1 mm. The diameter is a close match to a 9/32 punch so no problem there. However I couldn't find EPDM in 1mm (0.39 in) thickness on M-C. The closes one they have is 0.8 mm (1/32 in). Do you think that this 0.2 mm difference would cause any issues? Since the orifice is adjustable at first sight it seems like it may just work...

I figure that difference in thickness is about 1/2 turn on the orifice adjustment. I'd give it a try.

I think I will give it a try then. Still, I will give a call to a local Cressi dealer first just to see if they are willing to supply original seats and at what price. Boy, I love DIY :support:

Back
Top Bottom