Making an anchor for a mooring line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had buoys moored in 18-20,000 ft underway before the ship that deployed them got back into port due to this problem. Do you have USCG history?
No, I worked for the Texas Artificial Reef Program, and we had about 12 permanent reef marker buoys we had to maintain, plus a hand full of temporary buoys until things got charted. I don't miss those buoys!

One thing to consider is that cement and rocks weigh about half as much in water as they do on land. If you're set on a drum full of cement, try to fill it with scrap metal instead of rocks or gravel. Things like chain, old brake drums and disks etc. that you can get real cheap from a junkyard. I set a lot of small moorings for coastal buoys with oceanographic stuff and have completely ditched cement since I can get more weight in a smaller package with old engines or car/truck parts. Truck brake drums are huge!!

Back
Top Bottom