Making a FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BNow0707

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK before i start let me say i have read the previous threads on making a FFM from a gas mask.

I have this mask. It is the two masks in one type, it draws air in and up over the lense and down thru a one way valve into the wearer and then out thru a one way valve.

phalanxmask.jpg

There are two screw tight threaded caps, one on each side where the filter attaches. I removed the threaded piece from the right side and that leaves a hole in the rubber mask. I have a scubapro S600 which is adjustable. When the mouth piece is removed the regulator slips into the hole and forms a decent seal, but upon inhaltion the reg allows air from my cylinder in but also allows small amount of air to leak from around the hole. So what i need is a way to seal the 2nd stage into the face mask.

Maybe silicon caulk or epoxy should work, the epoxy being more permanent.

Yeah i was jus wondering about the fumes off of those types of materials obviously i wouldn't wear it immediately after applying the sealant but what about after it dries would it still pose a hazard.

What are you going to do about the round visor? It'll make for an interesting view underwater with it. There are some silicone RTV's that produce little fumes. Can't think of it off hand, might try googling it.

I dont think there is much i can do about it.

Suggestions?

How much will it affect vision and in what way? (im not familiar with it)

If it wont work out its no big deall i can stick the threaded lock cap back in. The mask in an MSA Ultra Twin it costs about $200 online i pikcked it up at a thirft store for $10 so my feelings wont be hurt. I jus thought it would be interesting to try.

It's like looking through a fisheye lens. Kinda fun for a little while, can be very disorienting too. Stick your hand out in front of you, it will look 10 feet away.

try going to a pet store and buying aquarium sealant. its pretty much RTV and/or silicone but completely non-toxic (to you and the fishies) and usually fairly low odor after it dries...and obviously waterproof. I cant promise how this will hold up under pressure depending on the depths you dive to tho.

go with the fish glue, pressure wont be an issue, when he equalizes the mask and water will be v. close to the same pressure, the differential will only be 1-2 PSI max, and the glue will be able to hold that.

Check the flapper valves regularly, or else it could lead to a CO2 issue, and you having to bail off the mask while hyper ventilating.
Allen

How will you equalize your ears? Can you pinch you nose through this mask?

I will have to equalize by poping my jaw or using a nose clamp/clip or plug to resist the pressure.

Anyone have any ideas as far as fixing the curved lens:confused:

Back
Top Bottom