Makena Landing Closing to Divers???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie, I truly expected more from you.

First off, fly-by-night is pretty strong term to use towards those of us that are newer than 3-4 years to the Maui diving scene. (New permits haven't been available for the last 3-4 years). Furthermore, if we teach for fun, yet accept a gratuity, you're saying that somehow makes us less than professional... incidentally, we're still following the rules.
Two quotes come to mind. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" and "If the shoe fits, wear it."

I didn't name names.

There is a letter to the editor in today's Maui News that claims access to Makena Landing is owned by Everett Dowling!

Robare Baker:
Our county parks director, Tamara Horcajo, an Oregon native, is still doing her best to force well-trained, legally permitted ocean operators out of our parks via the back door. Her latest victim is not a defenseless small Maui business, it's Makena Landing!

She says access to this tiny precious gem doesn't belong to the county, it belongs to Delaware hotel and property developer Everett Dowling! Coincidentally, he's building yet another for-millionaires-only subdivision right across the street from Makena Landing!

Tamara says that this longtime beach access belongs to him because, although he did indeed transfer it to the county, now he wants it back!

Is "Robare" Bobby Baker's nom de plume?

There is a letter to the editor in today's Maui News that claims access to Makena Landing is owned by Everett Dowling!

Is "Robare" Bobby Baker's nom de plume?
I wonder what the State parks department has to say about that.

As for "Robare Baker" -- I'm not sure about that one, though it would make sense. Especially if the Maui News made a typo and it was submitted as "Robert Baker"... of course, *that* would never happen (the Maui News making a typo, that is). :D

I'm pretty sure, however, that "DonDiego" (a frequent commenter on the Maui News site, and incidentally, to this particular article as well) is one of Bobby's many pen names.

Interesting that so many of you want to blame guys like Kris for everything bad on Maui. In fact your enemy is the rich property owners and developers that want to drive tourists away so they can have a private playground.

If you guys don't quit your pi**ing and get together there's going to be nothing left for anybody, then guys like me will find other places to dive (yes, there are other places!), when that happens let me know how that new career at the 7-11 works out for you.

It seems to me that the more people that get behind this, the better the chances of survival for Makena commercial are. I, like many, have been visiting Maui for years now. I have used a pluthera of the services there in and including Dive Guides (Shaka Doug), Dive Boats (John at Dive and Sea), not too mention restaurants, hotels, bars (LOTS OF THOSE) theaters. Even luau’sthe with family members.

I do not live there (sadly) but Maui is a deep part of my life as is diving. The thought do loosing yet another piece of what I deem, My Maui, is sickening!! The idea that more people will loose out on the experience of diving is even worse. Shaka DS got me started as he has many (as I am hoping have many of you) _ on a lifetime worth of passion. That start came at Makena Landing. What a great place to be able to take a first time diver that did not want to go to a hotel to have to "try out" a dive.

There are many like me that will ultimately have no choice than to find other places to go. I am sure a few mega mansions in Makena make for strong tax revenue for the state and county. I would imagine that the tourist dollars from people like me that visit and bring many others to Maui several times a year should far surpass the property taxes and permit fees.

For those that are there, please keep the mainlanders up to sped on how to stop this senseless closure. If not, big Island or?????

A million mahalos
BB

There are many like me that will ultimately have no choice than to find other places to go. I am sure a few mega mansions in Makena make for strong tax revenue for the state and county. I would imagine that the tourist dollars from people like me that visit and bring many others to Maui several times a year should far surpass the property taxes and permit fees.

You're right. Unfortunately, the County seems to be trying to shut down as much small business (including vacation rentals, ocean recreation operators, among others) as they can.

Frankly, with the current government, I would be surprised if they care about the tourism industry here.

For those that are there, please keep the mainlanders up to sped on how to stop this senseless closure. If not, big Island or?????

The only way to stop it: keep coming here. Yes, it's bass-ackwards, but the issue seems to be that the local government doesn't want tourism business... so, the only way to get them off that track is to show them that the measures they're putting in place won't get rid of tourism, because it's about the location and scenery, not access to something specific.

It seems as if Maui's officers don't seem to remember the saying "Maui no ka oi" They want it comfortable for the rich residents.
I agree, what will happen to all of the "lost divers" that will come in to the picture if this happens.
I remember a story that Shaka Doug told my husband and I about an unguided diver dying off Makena landing, yes he was with a buddy, but unguided.
I am not an experienced diver and went out with Shaka Doug on my first ocean dive after certification. He made me feel safe and comfortable, calm waters had a lot to do with it.
Now what happens to a certified diver like myself without knowing the area, jump right in perhaps and possibly never to return? The people need to be considered.
Why is it that the safety of the people is being considered when it comes to bike rides down Haleakala but not in the water sport areas? What is Maui's next ruling going to be, no water sports at all?
I love Maui and it'd people. I did not like the diving on Oahu but it seems as it the county of Maui is pushing divers like myself to the other islands or elsewhere.
I will fight for my fight! I will wright and make my calls!

They want it comfortable for the rich residents.

It's not so much the rich "residents" as the rich "property owners". It's an important distinction here.

Why is it that the safety of the people is being considered when it comes to bike rides down Haleakala but not in the water sport areas?

Is that really any different? I'm not sure exactly where it's at now, but throughout the ban following that death, there was nothing about riding your bicycle down the hill that was banned -- it was only the commercial tours couldn't operate inside the park.

So really, it's the same thing -- shutting down the people that make money keeping people safe and hoping that anybody else that tried it would be capable enough to survive it.

What is Maui's next ruling going to be, no water sports at all?

That's already the case in the public school system here, I'm told. Due to an apparently "local" fear of the ocean, no school trip can include water time, no matter how well-supervised.

FYI-below is a copy of a letter that Jeff Strahn has sent to Mr. Dowling, thought you all might like to read it and I don't think Jeff would mind. But as I did not ask his permission first, please refrain from contacting Jeff about it.
Mahalo

Everett Dowling
Dowling Company, Inc.
2005 Main Street
Wailuku, HI 96793

July 22, 2008

Dear Mr. Dowling.

My name is Jeff Strahn. I am the Vice President and General Manager of Maui Dive Shop and the President of the Hawaiian Islands Recreational Scuba Association (HIRSA). I would first like to congratulate you on winning the TS Shinn award from the Maui Chamber of Commerce. As a Board of Directors member, I do not know of a more deserving recipient. Your commitment to community service the community as a whole has been a model for many to follow.

I am writing you today in response to the article in the Maui News of Sunday, July 13, 2008 regarding the closing of Makena Landing to commercial operators on August 31, 2008. In researching your comments, I have found that Makena Landing and other parks in Makena are not zoned PK-1 as you stated in the article, but rather they are zoned PK which does not prohibit commercial activity. Although it may be true that the County is desirous of changing the zoning from PK to PK-1, it has not been done at this time and will certainly not be done without public comment and input. Maui Dive Shop has been diving in this area since 1978 without incident; and there are currently 18 other Scuba operators and 12 other commercial operators who use this recreational spot on a regular or irregular basis.

It is our desire, and the desire of the Hawaiian Islands Recreational Scuba Association (HIRSA); to meet with you to discuss options that will be mutually beneficial to all members of the community in regards to these areas. It is our position that Maui and its parks system are big enough to accommodate all user groups. We feel that we should have a seat at the table to discuss any changes that may take place in the future in regards to these areas. The community requires this input, and as you know it is the best approach to resolving any conflict between user groups.

Your vision and insight into Maui’s future has been exceptional in the past. Please consider our request as it relates to these areas in the future. I am available for comment at any time. The industry is standing by to meet with all parties involved. I can be reached at 270-9813 if you would like to speak to me in person. Thank you very much in advance regarding this important issue.

Sincerely,

Jeff Strahn
General Manager

That's already the case in the public school system here, I'm told. Due to an apparently "local" fear of the ocean, no school trip can include water time, no matter how well-supervised.

That's already the policy in many public school systems across the United States, not just Maui. If you've ever been a chaparone on a field trip you'd never question why.

Back
Top Bottom