Makena Landing Closing to Divers???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's already the case in the public school system here, I'm told. Due to an apparently "local" fear of the ocean, no school trip can include water time, no matter how well-supervised.

:rofl3:

Hawaiian's that can't swim! :rofl3:

What's next, Eskimos that can't take cold weather?!

Only a few years ago Hawaii high schools added surfing to the competitive sports, and I believe there are also high school paddling teams. Seems like someone's information is slightly suspect.

In researching your comments, I have found that Makena Landing and other parks in Makena are not zoned PK-1 as you stated in the article, but rather they are zoned PK which does not prohibit commercial activity. Although it may be true that the County is desirous of changing the zoning from PK to PK-1, it has not been done at this time and will certainly not be done without public comment and input.

Jeff Strahn
General Manager
If accurate, that changes the situation dramatically. I'm surprised that it took a private citizen to figure this out rather than County officials.

Only a few years ago Hawaii high schools added surfing to the competitive sports, and I believe there are also high school paddling teams. Seems like someone's information is slightly suspect.
Came from an elementary school teacher. Perhaps rules are different for high schools and they didn't know that.

DiveMaven: believe me, I don't take issue with the policy -- only the reasoning behind it that I was given and also that it's a fixed rule. It means that school groups can't go on organised snorkelling tours or the like. I can understand avoiding tertiary waterfront activities (i.e. no playing in the water when at a Kam 3 park party) but not allowing students (and parents) to choose a water-based activity seems exceptionally strange for an area like Hawaii that wouldn't exist apart from the ocean.

:rofl3:

Hawaiian's that can't swim! :rofl3:

What's next, Eskimos that can't take cold weather?!
Apparently (same source), the number of true "locals" that can swim is greatly outnumbered by those that can't.

Yes... seemed strange to me as well. But it's not the first time I've been surprised by a local culture.

Kris, I totally understand why a school district wouldn't want to take on the liability of sanctioning a school activity like snorkeling in the ocean. The ocean is an unpredictable place and it would be FAR too easy to lose a student, regardless of how much adult supervision you might have.

As a long time educator, I can frankly tell you that I wouldn't touch taking elementary school kids on a snorkeling trip with a 10 foot pole!

Kris, I totally understand why a school district wouldn't want to take on the liability of sanctioning a school activity like snorkeling in the ocean. The ocean is an unpredictable place and it would be FAR too easy to lose a student, regardless of how much adult supervision you might have.

As a long time educator, I can frankly tell you that I wouldn't touch taking elementary school kids on a snorkeling trip with a 10 foot pole!
I'm sorry, I think I'm being misunderstood.

I'm not taking issue with that sort of decision. I *am* taking issue with the sort of decision that is based on "XYZ = bad" -- in this case XYZ is the ocean. According to the people that seemed to be "in-the-know" here, it wasn't a rational, lets protect our kids from something that can harm them decision. It was an "I'm afraid of the ocean, so my kids should be too" decision.

Since this is clearly a thread hijack, I'm not going to continue beyond this post with this topic.

So basically you're reporting that the school district's (or school's) policy is based on YOUR first hand information from the Principal, Superintendent, Board of Education, or some other administrator that had something to do with developing the policy?

If not, you might want to verify your information before reporting them as "facts". I certainly don't know what the policy about ocean activities for the Hawaii Public School system is, and will not claim that I do, however I do know that people make stuff up all the time about rules they don't like. I would bet that the policy decision was based more on liability issues than fear of the water. You, of course, may believe what you like....no skin off my nose.

If accurate, that changes the situation dramatically. I'm surprised that it took a private citizen to figure this out rather than County officials.

Yeah Charlie, you would think the Director of the County Department of Parks and Recreation would look into this before she made such a hasty decision to just close the permits for the three parks...Makena Landing, Maluaka North and Maluaka South. I get the feeling that they did know the status but wanted to help see the status change so they don't have to worry about Makena Landing anymore. I mean, they were trying to come up with a way to reduce the number of permits for Makena Landing from the present count (around 27 I think) to 8. How could they possible do that and be fair to everyone that aleady has a permit? Beats me. This new strategy works pretty good for them, don't you think? It really takes the heat off them. This decision affects a lot of businesses and a lot of people and it's not right.

Jeff from Maui Dive Shop asked me to look into it, you know, check the public records and do a little sleuth work. It's no simple task and hardly my expertise, however, it was me and Bobby Baker that went to the Planning and Zoning Office to explore this PK-1 stuff. We were surprised when the director told us there are very few PK-1 parks to begin with. We were pleased to discover that Makena Landing is NOT a PK-1......yet.

Here's a link to the Zoning Departments explanation of the PK-1, PK-2, PK-3 and PK-4 designation. Maui County Code
Look for this: Chapter 19.615 PARK DISTRICTS

Here's the kicker...It turns out, Dowling is trying to make it a PK-1 (I suspect BEFORE Aug. 31.). This is a zoning change that must go before the Maui County Council and is subject to public imput. We're now trying to determine when that meeting will be held so we can go petition the County Council to not make the zoning change to PK-1. Presently Makena Landing is zoned as just a "Park". It would help us all if we can have a strong showing at that meeting. It will be held at the Maui County Council Chambers but I don't know when. We're asking everyone to help win this in our favor.

So, let's re-cap. Dowling announces to the Parks Department that Makena Landing is PK-1. They believe him without challenge even though it is not. They tell us we're all out of luck in 60 days and that the decision didn't come from their office. Is that ethical? Is that legal? Is that Pono? Is that 'dirty pool'? It sure sounds questionable to me and everyone I've spoken with about it. I think someone is trying to 'pull a fast one'. The County Parks Department issued my permit. They authorized me to have access to conduct my classes and tours in that area for ten years. Dowling says what we've been doing is illegal and they immediately tell us they will no longer be issuing permits for CORA activities at those beach parks. Does this mean I've been operating illegally for ten years??? What were my fees for? What were my Permits for? Something smells fishy. If I have been illegal all this time why haven't I been prosecuted??

I'm going back to the planning department for more dirt on this subject. The planning and zoning supervisor, Mr. Francis Cerizo signed official documents for me saying that Makena Landing is Zoned 'Park', not PK-1. I asked him what that meant. He said just because somethng is zoned 'Park' does not automatically make it 'PK-1'. Who do you think has the facts straight? I go with Mr. Cerizo. He knows about Everett Dowling and how he operates. I think we're just getting started. I wonder what a judge would say about this?

Any thoughts O'hana?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom