Make your case: Best US city for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa:
Seattle! You have to be kidding! Does the sun ever shine there?

Dave

I thought this was about diving not the best place to wear sunblock.:14:

As was pointed out Seattle is the best place to live for diving.

Brookhaven is on Long Island. I am minutes from some of the best dive boats in the world where we dive on true wrecks. The San Diego, the Stolt, Lizzie D not to mention the Andrea Doria. I could go on and on. Plus we have great shore diving. Last November I was diving from shore and looking at Lion Fish and Butterfly fish. Striped Bass and Blackfish on the spear. Plus real lobsters and scallops from the wrecks.
There is no place like home!!!

gcbryan:
I thought this was about diving not the best place to wear sunblock.:14:

As was pointed out Seattle is the best place to live for diving.
Why do you think dive gear is so cheap:eyebrow: You can buy it at any pawn shop

catherine96821:
worst might be Abilene, we might have to wait for Jimbo to write us.

poooor Jimbo.

Abilene does have a Missile Silo that can be dived.

Kirkandtiger:
Luraville, Florida. Though might be a stretch calling it a city.

Very good diving there, but I'd have to say Marianna, Florida has better diving. :wink:

For non cave divers - LBTS area is phenomenal - easy shore diving that can be done in a swim suit in the summer.

Dive-aholic:
For non cave divers - LBTS area is phenomenal - easy shore diving that can be done in a swim suit in the summer.
When can you do it without a swim suit? :eyebrow:

FishDiver:
When can you do it without a swim suit? :eyebrow:

At night... :mooner:

I'm surprised by the Honolulu responses, only because I haven't dived there and I was under the impression Hawaii was just okay.

Until then, Key Largo gets my vote as the best dive city I'VE dove so far.

Key West is the Best! Best water, more to see and I think it's in the US . . .

Stan

I can only share my own personal experiences... And there is no single best city!

Kihei Hawaii gets a vote for the back wall on Molikini, a great dive. Good visibility usually means get back and enjoy the larger view. Lots of colorful sea life to watch.

Southern California from San Diego north to Ventura. Beautiful sea life and widely diverse conditions. Lower visibility simply means look closer for the small stuff.

South East Florida from West Palm Beach down through the Keys. Warm water and good visibility make this very enjoyable "arm chair" diving. Up north the Gulf Stream makes for nice drift dives, just sit back and enjoy the ride. Further south and nice shallow dives with long bottom times and lots to look at.

Florida cave country is like nothing else in the rest of the country. If caves are your thing there is nothing more to say.

Not exactly a state, but St. Croix in the U S Virgin Islands has some of the best reefs I have seen. Lots of healthy corals to look at.

I have never been diving in the PNW, but I hope to get a chance in the next year or so. The wrecks off the Jersey coast, or down off of North Carolina are also on my list but it will be some time before I have a chance to get there and dive.

Mark Vlahos

From my Profile Header:
. . .Los Angeles County, the Birthplace of Recreational Scuba: where you can snowboard/ski in Winter Mountain Wilderness; then turn around to go swim, surf & night dive in Kelp Forests at Mainland Beaches; and finally come home to Suburbia with a perfect Mediterranean Climate --all done within either a span of 12 hrs, or a leisurely paced Weekend. . . !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom