Suggestion Make Equipment forum a “Flame Free Zone”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
All too often it seems that new/newish divers post to Scubaboard with questions about gear and their thread devolves into a pissing match on who’s equipment is better. Not surprisingly the original poster stops participating and sometimes is never seen again.

Is there any way to make the Equipment Forum a “Flame Free Zone” similar to the New Diver and Basic Forums.

Lisa

"flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about (equipment choices) without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times.

I think the most informative discussions are the ones with multiple opinions with reasons. But a new diver may need one of the previously mentioned advisories.

Also, if you wear split fins you will die and be eaten by a shark. Well-known fact, just ask anyone on SB...

Is there any way to make the Equipment Forum a “Flame Free Zone”
All forums on ScubaBoard are supposed to be "flame free". If you see a real flame, please report it. Strong opinions are not in and of themselves a flame. I know we have a hot thread right now, with several reports from it, but flaming is never ever appropriate here. ScubaBoard is a tribe. Yes, we have a number of factions within our tribe, but we tend towards groupthink. Some pieces of equipment are more popular here than elsewhere because of it. It's our blessing and our curse. Consequently, we often have candid, colorful and intense discussions over gear choices. I could add blunt, terse, calculating and any number of descriptors to this, but I think you get the picture.

So, how do you limit responses without limiting discussion? I'm open to any ideas on this.

All too often it seems that new/newish divers post to Scubaboard with questions about gear and their thread devolves into a pissing match on who’s equipment is better. Not surprisingly the original poster stops participating and sometimes is never seen again.

Is there any way to make the Equipment Forum a “Flame Free Zone” similar to the New Diver and Basic Forums.

Lisa

"flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about (equipment choices) without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times.

While I partially agree, the inherent danger is that SB will become like *political comment deleted* If there is an opinion that somebody doesn’t like, it will be labeled, in this case, flaming and thus deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom