Suggestion Make Equipment forum a “Flame Free Zone”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
uncfnp

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
All too often it seems that new/newish divers post to Scubaboard with questions about gear and their thread devolves into a pissing match on who’s equipment is better. Not surprisingly the original poster stops participating and sometimes is never seen again.

Is there any way to make the Equipment Forum a “Flame Free Zone” similar to the New Diver and Basic Forums.

Lisa

"flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about (equipment choices) without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times.

We're actually discussing having a dedicated "My First Kit" forum in "Basic"...

My comment is that making the equipment a flame free zone is unnessary, as as most new divers ask their gear questions there, from my observation.

A reminder on the forum to a new diver that if diver wants his question answered in a less heated environment he can post it in the new or basic forums. In any event, any problem can be moderated with a quick note with the report function.

I believe that an effort to advertise the use of the report button, possibly naming it in a more flame free manner, could be used as an indicator, as well as a moderator, whether there is an actual issue on how the forum is used.

Bob

My comment is that making the equipment a flame free zone is unnessary, as as most new divers ask their gear questions there, from my observation.
However, we just might encourage a noob to actually ask a question if there's a forum dedicated to their first kit where we assure them they aren't going to get inundated.

We don't have any way of knowing how many newbie lurkers are discouraged by aggressive discussions from becoming members in order to ask a question. We can always merge the new forum back into Basic if it proves unnecessary. It should be interesting.

However, we just might encourage a noob to actually ask a question if there's a forum dedicated to their first kit where we assure them they aren't going to get inundated.

I wonder if a title like "Your First Kit" is exactly what we want? "Kit" implies to me the whole set of gear and excludes individual components that make up the kit. Besides, it is very British-centric... not a bad thing but may be foreign to a lot of readers. Hopefully someone will suggest that perfect name for this new sub-forum that has been alluding us. It's not terrible, it just doesn't sing to me.

• Your first purchases
  • Your first gear
  • Gear 101
  • They're fins, not flippers: a place for noob questions
  • Gear Talk for the New Diver

Since you are asking for suggestions:

I notice that the background color of the boxes we post in has a pleasant tint to it. Could you pick an equally pleasing but different tint for green zone forums? I do a lot of thread hopping and making that change would be a really convenient reminder as to where I am at the moment.

Votes on names:
1 Your first gear - Suggests an initial stage of building needed gear

4 Gear 101 - Foo 101 is universal

10 Gear Talk for the new diver (cute, but too long)
12 Your first kit (Gear is better)
13 Your first purchases (Leaves out that some you might rent. Suggests more the money than the gear)
15 They're flns... (too long)

The sticky starting points are a good idea

All too often it seems that new/newish divers post to Scubaboard with questions about gear and their thread devolves into a pissing match on who’s equipment is better. Not surprisingly the original poster stops participating and sometimes is never seen again. ...//...
Spot-on!

I've given this considerable thought and nothing seems to gell. So I'll just throw it all out there for picking apart and honest criticism. Have at it, I'm rather thick skinned...

First, I see a difference between a green zone and a newbie site. To me, a green zone means glance at my submersible politeness gauge and make damn sure it is pegged on max. A true and total newbie site, however, may not be all that enticing to regular members. Just a few green zones, more would dilute the effect. So maybe expand the scope of a friendly gear area (to entice regulars) while ruthlessly enforcing good manners?

"So, you want to own your gear"

How about a TOS something like: Welcome to the largest and certainly most diverse scuba community on the internet. Our members span the entire range from "thinking about diving" to the most hardened and experienced technical divers. We are all passionate about our gear and are willing to discuss it endlessly. Here is where we share information, compare and contrast gear options. There is no single gear configuration that is optimal for all of the vastly differing dive conditions that our members regularly dive. Do you just want some confirmation that you didn't make a bad purchase? Are you anguishing over two or more gear packages? Or is there just something you want to know about a piece of gear before you buy?

"Your first gear: suggestions from experience"

"Selecting gear can challenge new divers. Some -- mask, fins, snorkel -- are essential to start but fairly simple. Others -- buoyancy compensators, regulators, wetsuits, and computers -- have rental options while purchase is considered, but can be daunting and span a wider range than is often rentable. Many options might work, often varying with circumstance. But we can help describe the landscape of feature benefits, and hopefully provide our insight on specific feature questions."

Back
Top Bottom