Make a name tag on your equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hashsaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
It's common sometimes that somebody mistakenly use your equipment which they thought is theirs..or, when you send it to service (let's say reg set), return you the same reg set but from other owner.

i've actually made a name tag by sewing my name on nylon fabric and grip it on my bcd..

i'm thinking, do anyone have made a tag on their regulator set?? If yes, can you show me and guide me how did you make it?

thanks

Labeling your equipment is a great idea. The only thing I had happen was someone tried to grab my suitcase, thinking it was theirs, which was full of my scuba gear. The same thing you labeled your BC with would probably work for your regs. Even if you just attached it with velcro around a hose. I probably should have more stuff labeled than I do, mostly in case of theft.

label makers by Zebra, Dymo, among others work quite well. The labels stick to most things and last for years.

Labeling your equipment is a great idea. The only thing I had happen was someone tried to grab my suitcase, thinking it was theirs, which was full of my scuba gear. The same thing you labeled your BC with would probably work for your regs. Even if you just attached it with velcro around a hose. I probably should have more stuff labeled than I do, mostly in case of theft.

That is what I did works great and holds up great I attach then with a SS key ring
On my fins and thing you would not put anything like that I use paint pens and write my name in them

Been thinking bout using velcro, but doesn't seem helpful esp for theft case, seems too easy to remove.

Dog tag seems not a bad idea and u remind me of my open water instructor who tied a 7cm height hard toy monkey on a hose near to first stage. You can recognise him easily underwater and you know it's his gear too.

i think what should i do next :) thanks for respond.

---------- Post added January 11th, 2013 at 02:24 AM ----------

label makers by Zebra, Dymo, among others work quite well. The labels stick to most things and last for years.

not sure what's that and how it works, google it and seem it's likely labeling printer for price tag etc. do u have any sample which it can use for labeling dive gears which is waterproof?

We have a company called tylon that make brite yellow letters for marking circuit boards. these can easily be attached to cable ties and make great markers. I am sure these are readily available.

Working in DC, I trip over machines that stamp out dog tags on a regular basis, so I have them made with name and phone number. I've got one screwed to the bottom of each of my Predators.

The same thing could be done zip tying one to a regulator yoke or hose and they tend to be comparatively cheap, rust resistant and durable.

I've seen divers bring in regs for service with engraved round plastic tags (plastic name tag material) with their name on them, an thats the same thing, just in a different format.

The same tags could be used on BCs, but my general concern with tags on regs, BCs etc is that they pose a slightly increased entanglement risk. Not a big issue for a recreational diver, but a problem for a technical wreck diver.

In any event, the last phase in reg servicing a reg is filling out the warranty paperwork for parts replacement and all companies ask for the serial number, so the tech will check and record it. In well run shops the serial will already be on the sheet that is filled out when the reg is received and the tech will ensure it matches the serial on the reg when they finish the service work and paperwork. If not, any mis match will most likely show up when someone creates the invoice for the reg in the system as most shops track regs and serial numbers by association with owner accounts in the book keeping system. Which is to say, a lot has to go wrong for the wrong reg to go home with the wrong diver after an annual service, so a reg is not the first item I'd tag.

BCs will get separated from regs, and alternate air sources and BCs will get separated for service, so I take care to label each item so they are properly re-united later. If you get a large bunch of BCs and Air 2s in for service and DO NOT mark them, the resulting confusion will rank right up there with father's day in Ireland. :D Those then would be high on my list of items to mark prior to service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom