Major League Vortex Meet/Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to toss a link to this in the Trips-N-Happenings forum over at the Conch forums - you'll get ahold of the panhandlers easier that way.

Can some Louisiana guys come down for the fun. Hell it will be a nice break from the Gulf and a chance to meet some clubs/divers from other states. What is the status on Morrison, I heard its was closed as was Cypress but obviously they are open in some form.

Morrison is owned by the state. Its opened to divers without any admission fees, but it doesn't have a shop, fill station, rental gear, ect. It does have cold showers and bathrooms. Morrison is currently flooded with all the storms we've had over the past few weeks. It'll be flooded for atleast another week or two before its got more than 5' of visibility.

Cypress is now only accessible by canoe/small boat. The lands around it are now private property. The spring itself is open to public, being a navigable waterway and there is no admission(unless you have to rent a canoe). You can get to a public boat launch about a mile downstream - makes for about 20min of paddling. Its well worth it IMO. Cypress is currently flooded as well, it should be clearing up this weekend though. It clears much faster due to all the water it pumps out.

You guys can count me in too. Im actually going to vortex this weekend so that heather, my better half, can get her open water cert. FINALLY! It should be a lot of fun.

The looney birds need to get together and hit lanier. Last weekend surface temp was 65 degrees and my min temp read 52 degrees at 50 ft. It has finally warmed up from the 40's.

Kyle

That navigable waterway stuff don't fly in Louisiana. If you are the landowner you can block the flow of boat traffic but leave the water open. It's crazy down here. But we are working on it. I only dove Cypress once but it was absolutely crystal that day. Is the road to Morrison maintained or do you need 4wd to get in.

Cypress is nearly always perfect. The first time I dove it, river levels were right at flood level(well over a bankfull) and the water was milky, but there wasn't much tannic water in the basin at all. The flow is amazing. The river levels there are over flood level at the moment, but it will be below by this weekend. Once the river level is down to 10-11', the water will be 'gin' clear again.

The road to Morrison is still dirt, but I've never had any problem(or seen others have problems) with getting to the site. As far as dirt roads go, its in good shape.

Did you go to the Destin Jetty last weekend. We need to get together for a nice shore dive. Can you dive East Pass Bridge.?

Mr. Fish,
This is open to ALL !!! The more the merrier !!!
I just think it's a good idea to try to get together to have some face to face time - - develop dive buddies for the future and for other places. . . that sort of thing.

mrfish im originally from metairie but I live in atlanta now. I should be coming down soon to visit some family. We need to get together and do some diving while im down. Do you know of anyone who has a boat, and might want to dive the midnight lumps? I use to go fishing out there almost every weekend. My roomate had his own boat, and we use to go out to rig 143 and stay the night hooked to the rig. at night. When the sun was coming up is when we would go to the lumps and troll. I didn't have my dive cert. then so I haven't had the chance to dive the lumps yet. I hear there is a crazy group down there that dives the lumps called the hells divers. I wouldnt mind trying to hook up with one of them since they know the place, unless you already know it. If you have any othe places to dive down there im up for that too.

kyle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom