Major Incident with Canaveral Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as sharp turns, two years ago my wife and I were on a cruise where the ship, per CG requirements, had to test its ability to come to a complete stop quickly. This was done by slamming the ship into a 90 degree turn. It was pretty much like sliding a car sideways. Lots of rudder and lots of side thrusters. It came to a dead stop in a remarkably short distance. But, there was very little list.

ItsBruce:
As far as sharp turns, two years ago my wife and I were on a cruise where the ship, per CG requirements, had to test its ability to come to a complete stop quickly. This was done by slamming the ship into a 90 degree turn. It was pretty much like sliding a car sideways. Lots of rudder and lots of side thrusters. It came to a dead stop in a remarkably short distance. But, there was very little list.

Hmmm. Interesting Bruce, which makes me think that it was something other than a sharp turn that made this ship list so much.

Diver Dennis:
Hmmm. Interesting Bruce, which makes me think that it was something other than a sharp turn that made this ship list so much.

I would agree if the ship was still in prt somewhere.Look at it this way.When you are on a dive boat and the boat makes a turn on its way out while at speed,the boat lists to one side.The opposite side from which it is turning,for a few seconds.This is cetrifigal force(if I spelled it wrong please forgive me.)The list is a couple of degrees, momentearily while the boat comes out of the turn.It does not seem that bad because you are close to the center of gravity.Same thing happens with a cruise ship.Only it seems more pronounced (same angle)the higher or lower you go away from the center of gravity.The difference is when a cruise ship turns and if it is true what happened to the Crown,then the ship would have gone in to a list and held it for a substantial amount of time,while the officer held the azipods over in the turn,as opposed to only listing for a few seconds.If you were standing close tho the center of gravity,you may have stumbled a little.this is because you did not move far from the center of gravity.On the open decks,you could have been a few FEET from the vertical.(If I lost you do this.On a piece of paper, draw a lagre plus sign,with the point in the center of the page.From the center point,draw a line to the upper left part of the page at about 10 degree angle all the way to the top of the page.the paper is the ship looking at her from the stern(back)to the bow.The cross is her center of gravity.vertical and horizontal.You will see that where the line comes out from the center at 10 degrees,you are not that far off vertical.Now look at the top portion and you can see how far off you are from vertical.) I might be wrong but I think I heard something about the ship making an almost 180 degree turn before stopping the turn.That would account for the list,the injuries,the pools being emptied and all of the loose items on the ship falling to the same side.If it were an issue with a stabilizer the ship would have been continuosly rolling to one side,the entire cruise or a long period of time.From all acounts,the ship suddenly turned and listed for a considerable length of time.And if a single azipod went stupid for lack of a better term,and turned 90 degress to its sister,then you would have had a lot of vibrations and structural damage to the pods.if both turned together,in an uncommanded turn,the ship would still be in port.Even if one rotated 180 degrees to its sister,the only thing that would happen is the ship would slow fairly quick and do a donought in the ocean.The ship would most likely still be there in Port Canaveral, and probably would not have moved,and come in being towed.The Coast Guard already checked the engines and computers and cleared the ship.They have the black box (same exact function as the data recorders and voice recorders on planes.)from the bridge and I would be willing to bet they already know,they are just finishing out eliminating all of the others issues (drug use,computer sneeze,malfunction, someone in secondary steering etc) that could account for it,to avoid problems with there findings later.If it were the stabilizers you would have heard that the ship is runnning without them.If it were the engines, the ship would be heading somewhere else for a fix and re-inspection.

We ought to be careful not to get busted for speculating as sometimes happens with dive accidents.

Simply put, the whole thing sounds bizarre to me. A long time ago cruise ships were seaworthy and could withstand a significant list or roll without everything coming undone.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom