Major Incident with Canaveral Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxHockeyGuy:
If they had a stabilizer failure during a turning maneuver I could easily see this happening. Given their center of gravity being so high I see no way they could complete a maneuver at speed without them. I am sure once the ship started listing they stopped the turning maneuver but a ship that size doesn't respond like your car. It probably would have taken a few seconds for that command to start to take effect and the ship would have listed even more during that time. I don't see a single pod being able to do this and as was stated previously I don't believe the newer ships have rudders.

Of course I'm no expert, but I have been on one of these newer ships and anytime we made a turn it was quite noticeable, even with the stabilizers.

I totally disagree about the noticability of the turns. The Norwegian Dawn and Star (sister ships) turn on a dime and unless you have a reference point, you will have trouble noticing if at all.

Anything which has a high CG is by nature unstable. The topsy turvey corklike charactoristics of those behemouths is counteracted by the stabilzers and computer gizmos. I am sure when it is all up and working the thing handles great but OBVIOUSLY when it goes wrong.... bad things happen.

I am not sure they were making a manouever (sp?) at least they should have been turning to port to head up north from Port Canaveral - but they listed to port which would indicate a starboard movement, why would they want to head further south?

HNITSUJ:
I totally disagree about the noticability of the turns. The Norwegian Dawn and Star (sister ships) turn on a dime and unless you have a reference point, you will have trouble noticing if at all.

Well I can tell you that on the Carnival Conquest when they made a turn at speed you could tell. Only one turn was very noticeable and that's when we were turning around to assist another boat in distress, their engine had failed. They turned around fairly quickly and when doing so there was a very noticeable list about the ship, it actually woke me up. Now when they were turning more slowly or in port unless you knew to look for it, you are correct, you couldn't tell at all.

Someone said something about the list being 12 degrees. For anyone who has been aboard a dive boat, 12 degrees is insignificant. The problem with a cruise ship is that it isn't built as a ship. Its built as a floating hotel. At one time things were bolted down or properly stowed and tables and the like had raised edges to prevent things from falling off.

Note, on my little boat, we don't start worrying about our heel angle until it exceeds 50 degrees. ... Ask Catherine.

HNITSUJ:

Norwegian Sky had a listing incident as well:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2062313&postcount=5

You can find a log of it on the cruisejunkie website somebody else posted.

I might be wrong (I'm pretty loyal to RCCL and not as "up" on the other line's ships) but I think these three are sister-ships.

The Sky is different than the Star and Dawn. The sky and its sister ship were commissioned under another cruise line. I believe the sister ship was completed and sailed. The Sky was not finished as the other cruise line went backrupt. NCL took it over and finished it as the Sky.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom