Major Incident with Canaveral Cruise Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like it was a steering problem that caused it. My guess is a hydralic issue that caused the steering rudder to abruptly go one way or the other.

here's more.....

Dozens hurt as giant cruise ship rolls
Last Updated Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:08:01 EDT
The Associated Press

Dozens of people were injured, two critically, after a cruise ship suddenly rolled heavily after leaving a Florida port on Tuesday.

The Crown Princess returned to Port Canaveral, Fla., where medical personnel were treating the injured. No deaths have been reported and all passengers and crew have been accounted for, authorities said.

Among the critically injured was a child, officials said. Another 10 people were seriously hurt and about 30 had lesser injuries, fire official Capt. Jim Watson said.

The ship, which can handle 3,000 passengers, was about 118 kilometres southeast of Port Canaveral heading to New York when it experienced problems with steering equipment.

That caused it to roll abruptly to its port, or left, side, Coast Guard Petty Officer James Judge said.

Captain sounded terrified

"There were people running for life jackets, and then afterward a lot of people hugging and crying, people looking for children," Carol O'Connell told NBC's Miami affiliate, WTVJ-TV, by phone.

"The captain came on and made an announcement that there was a problem with the steering mechanism and the captain sounded so terrified, which led to my feeling of more panic," she said.

O'Connell said she saw flooding, overturned tables and lots of broken glass. The 113,000-ton ship, which is owned by Princess Cruises, one of 12 brands operated by Miami-based Carnival Corp., made its maiden voyage last month. The company said it was investigating the cause of the incident.

I took a cruise on one of those 3000 person cattle haulers once. Never again.

I'm sticking to dive boats. If I can't jump off with tanks on and climb back on, I ain't goin.

This happens more often than you'd think and it doesn't take as much force as you may think. Remember, these ships typically draw less than 30' yet rise 100-130' above the water. The C of G is higher than you might think. There's an intricate balance between the the rudders and the stabilizers.

There was another major incident on the Norwegian Sky on an Alaskan cruise about five years ago when the ship was just a year or so old that had similar results to this one.

I myself was on RCCL's Serenade of the Seas Alaskan cruise last year and we had a "minor" incident that broke a good bit of glassware all around the ship but I heard of no personal injuries. A day or so later, the FO told me someone accidently disengaged the port stabilizer as we were changing our heading. I half thought he was kidding but who knows.....

The keel of a cruise ship is what keeps it upright, not rudders or stabilizers, otherwise it could not float upright if it lost power. This could be a serious design flaw and I would not be surprised if they made her sister ship go through inspections again as well.

while the keel is what keeps it upright, I think he's saying the center of gravity is very high and the ship needs a little help from stabilizers, etc to make the ship perform better (without rocking all over the place).

Quarrior:
I took a cruise on one of those 3000 person cattle haulers once. Never again.

I'm sticking to dive boats. If I can't jump off with tanks on and climb back on, I ain't goin.

Hear here.

Diver Dennis:
True Mike, but to list so suddenly would require a huge weight transfer. The rudders and stabilizers could not do that.

First of all, they don't really use "rudders" anymore. Do you know what an azipod is??
A good friend works for ABB, the makers of the azipod systems used in nearly all new cruise ships and has described the "rudder tests" they perform during seatrials before the ships ever see their first passenger. In addition to that, my wife is a former employee of RCCL as an IT person that ran the inventory control system and was on one of the ships after a defective azipod was replaced in drydock in Curacao. After that level of work is performed, the USCG comes and recertifies the ship. IIRC, she said the limit of heeling was 42 degrees to pass the test and that ship "came close". She also described it as pretty unbelievable where the crew spent an entire day securing everything before the test. I am NOT saying it's likely a cruise ship will roll over but simply that their not as stable as you might have thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom