Maintaining depth in blue water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel like many divers are taught to overweight by instructors to be "safe".
Overweighting students to a frightful degree is all too common, but hopefully it is starting to be phased out. IMO, the reason for it has nothing to do with safety but it is related more to an age-old instructional strategy that is gradually going the way of the dinosaur.

Scuba instruction began before any buoyancy control devices existed, including the wet suit. Research on this history shows that as a result, skill instruction began with students kneeling on the bottom of a swimming pool. That approach continued to be used by almost all scuba instructors until recently. When wet suits and then BCDs became part of instruction, weights had to be added to keep the students firmly planted on the bottom so they could do the skills without bobbing about.

I led a team of instructors a number of years ago in writing an article on a different approach to instruction--having students from the very beginning of class neutrally buoyant and in horizontal trim. We convinced PADI to publish our article in their professional magazine, the Undersea Journal, and PADI asked me to provide pictures that compared the two instructional strategies. I first posed for all the neutral/horizontal pictures, dressed as I normally was when instructing, which means I was overweighted by several pounds so I could better manage students. Then I posed for the pictures while kneeling, something I had not done in years. I had to double the amount of weight I was wearing to remain stable while doing the skills! That is because of the high center of gravity while kneeling--you tend to tip over if you are at all buoyant.

While I was negotiating with PADI over the wording of the final draft of that article, it was obvious from our give and take that they had never seen instruction done that way and were not convinced. Two years later, they published new standards and recommended that all instruction be done neutral and horizontal, in keeping with our article. They eliminated all pictures of people doing skills on their knees. I recently had another article on this topic accepted for future publication, and I had to go through negotiations with the same person as before. This time there was no give and take on the content itself--we only discussed wording. That content included ideas that were not included in the first article because they were then considered too controversial and too adversarial in relation to the old concept of teaching on the knees. PADI had obviously seen enough since that first article to be convinced it is the best way to teach.

Unfortunately, although I can assure you that PADI headquarters is now convinced that teaching on the knees is not the best way to go, they did not forbid it. Instructors are free to continue that way if they wish. I am sure that the overwhelming majority will continue as they always have. Amazingly enough, I know someone who recently got his instructor certification through a huge program that certifies hundreds of instructors a year. They told him there were two ways to do the skills, and that the neutral way works best, but they still required all instructor candidates to perform all the skills heavily overweighted and firmly planted on the knees! Why? They had been doing it that way for many years, and they knew that if their instructor candidates performed the choreography of the skills as they taught them, they were certain to pass the instructor exam.

Overweighting students to a frightful degree is all too common, but hopefully it is starting to be phased out. IMO, the reason for it has nothing to do with safety but it is related more to an age-old instructional strategy that is gradually going the way of the dinosaur.

Scuba instruction began before any buoyancy control devices existed, including the wet suit. Research on this history shows that as a result, skill instruction began with students kneeling on the bottom of a swimming pool. That approach continued to be used by almost all scuba instructors until recently. When wet suits and then BCDs became part of instruction, weights had to be added to keep the students firmly planted on the bottom so they could do the skills without bobbing about.

I led a team of instructors a number of years ago in writing an article on a different approach to instruction--having students from the very beginning of class neutrally buoyant and in horizontal trim. We convinced PADI to publish our article in their professional magazine, the Undersea Journal, and PADI asked me to provide pictures that compared the two instructional strategies. I first posed for all the neutral/horizontal pictures, dressed as I normally was when instructing, which means I was overweighted by several pounds so I could better manage students. Then I posed for the pictures while kneeling, something I had not done in years. I had to double the amount of weight I was wearing to remain stable while doing the skills! That is because of the high center of gravity while kneeling--you tend to tip over if you are at all buoyant.

While I was negotiating with PADI over the wording of the final draft of that article, it was obvious from our give and take that they had never seen instruction done that way and were not convinced. Two years later, they published new standards and recommended that all instruction be done neutral and horizontal, in keeping with our article. They eliminated all pictures of people doing skills on their knees. I recently had another article on this topic accepted for future publication, and I had to go through negotiations with the same person as before. This time there was no give and take on the content itself--we only discussed wording. That content included ideas that were not included in the first article because they were then considered too controversial and too adversarial in relation to the old concept of teaching on the knees. PADI had obviously seen enough since that first article to be convinced it is the best way to teach.

Unfortunately, although I can assure you that PADI headquarters is now convinced that teaching on the knees is not the best way to go, they did not forbid it. Instructors are free to continue that way if they wish. I am sure that the overwhelming majority will continue as they always have. Amazingly enough, I know someone who recently got his instructor certification through a huge program that certifies hundreds of instructors a year. They told him there were two ways to do the skills, and that the neutral way works best, but they still required all instructor candidates to perform all the skills heavily overweighted and firmly planted on the knees! Why? They had been doing it that way for many years, and they knew that if their instructor candidates performed the choreography of the skills as they taught them, they were certain to pass the instructor exam.

That makes perfect sense. I was initially trained by a instructor who has been diving sine the formation of PDIC. I was taught like this and later dove overweighted. I went all the way to AOWD with this instructor and overweighted the whole time. It wasn't until recently in a pool with a very skilled PADI instructor that I became truly neutral. I had to shed half my weight. I was skeptical but went along with it. It was an eye opening experience to say the least.

I had an interesting experience with a student a couple of years ago. He had done his pool sessions with another instructor in our shop who used the traditional approach on the knees. Knowing that he was going to do his OW dives in a cool water lake, the student asked to do the pool sessions in the 7mm suit he would be wearing on those dives so he could get his weight dialed in. I was the OW instructor, and he explained that because he had done that, he knew he needed exactly 22 pounds. I looked at his slight frame and thought "No way on God's green Earth does he need 22 pounds."

I talked him into starting with 18, and we did a weight check. He sank like a stone. He still did not want to ditch any weight because he could not believe he didn't need it--he had needed it while doing skills in the pool, by golly. In the PADI OW dives, you are supposed to refine your weighting over the 4 dives, so I let him do the first dive with 16 pounds. He struggled to get into good trim on the dive. By the time we reached the 4th dive, I had him down to 10 pounds, and he looked like a completely different diver. More importantly, he reported FEELING like a completely different diver. Diving was so much easier, and he had no trouble maintaining trim.

@Neilwood @Lorenzoid

In answer to your question about the line being a reference, not really, certainly not consciously. You are fixated on your computer getting in tune with the rhythm of change and your breathing. It doesn't matter what the lag is.

Lets say you want to hold a stop at X.5. Your upper point is X.4 and lower is X.6 So once you get comfortable you get to say the lower limit, x.6, breath in (more like think) and at the mid point breath out. You should then not exceed the upper point, you anticipate and breath out. Again at the mid point you make an adjustment.

I've done it at 10m and regularly at 5m on SS because I can, indeed I did today. came off the island in the current and carried out the SS in the blue, no references what so ever just me and my computer (my wife had the DSMB) but you can't use another person as a reference

Other senses can lie to you. An example. Yesterday I dived a site Bu Rashid, out in the Strait of Hormuz. The site is a wall. If your are at 20 - 30 m then the sand is 80-90m below, so no reference. We had great vis, and no particulate just lovely blue water. The wall itself has fantastic striations and ridges, the look horizontal, but they're not they angle very slightly downwards. If you're trusting your eyes and not your computer you can end up deep very quickly. And you have to watch your computer like a hawk, because your eyes and brain will work against you telling you that it's horizontal.

Most people find this hard because they're not truly neutral and they're breathing in the top half of their lungs, but it's not really, not when you understand. Holding a stop +/- 0.5m or +/- 18" shouldn't be difficult at all

I only skimmed the first page of this thread, so it's possible someone else posted these tips.

Tip 1 - Proper weighting
Maintaining buoyancy control within the first 5m (16') of depth is challenging for beginning divers because this is where the greatest rate of change due to the effects of boyles law occurs; if you descend just a few feet you'll need to add air to your BC, if you ascend just a few feet you'll need to vent air from the BC and just the simple act of breathing causes a buoyancy change.

Most new divers wind up wearing way too much weight and that causes problems because they compensate by putting additional air in their BC. In the shallower region (<5m) there are dramatic fluctuations in the volume of the BC when you move just even a few feet up or down in the water column.

One thing you can do to help is reduce the weight you are wearing to the bare minimum you need to maintain buoyancy with only 500 psi in your tank. What I am saying is with a completely empty BC (no air in the system), you should be able to establish neutral buoyancy at 15' with only 500 psi in your tank.

The reason that will help with your buoyancy is because when full, an AL80 will only be 6# heavier (due to the weight of the air), which means you'll only need to add enough gas in your BC to provide the 6# extra lift.

The way I establish proper weighting whenever I've made gear changes is at the end of a dive I will go to 15' of water, make sure my tank has ~600-700 psi in it (hit the purge if necessary), then dump all of the air out of my BC, and slowly remove weight from my system in 2# chunks until I find I'm slightly underweighted (and am starting to float). Then I'll add 2# back.

Tip 2 - Recognizing changes in depth without looking at your gauges
If you have good awareness of your body you can notice depth changes by the function of your ears. If you're descending, you'll feel some pressure on your ears and will want to equalize. If you're ascending, you'll notice some popping in your ears. With practice, by being aware and monitoring these changes you can maintain buoyancy without too much effort.

I just got back from a week in Belize, and a few days were spent doing wall diving in Turneffe. The ears trick helped a lot with maintaining my depth while in deep blue water on the wall.

Best of luck to you,

Ken

As repeated before many times:

1) Weight and it's effect on managing the gas volume in your buyancy device (wing or bcd). Overweighted and you are managing a much larger bubble.
2) Stay horizontal: You present a much larger surface area in the vertical plane making you more stable and less prone to move up or down. Next if you stay horizontal you can no longer subconsiously compensate being to heavy by using your legs. The moment you have any slip of concentration or taskloading your legs stop moving and sink you do :) If you are horizontal you are forced to use your buyancy device and/or lungs to adjust your trim and moving your legs will only move you in the horizontal plane.
3) Learn to guestimate depth not based on your gauge or computer. I see it all the time. Someone who is not used to keeping a stop (or navigating or what not) start to focus on that depth gauge and nothing else. Their head goes down, their position in the water becomes extremely sloppy and they sink. Keep your head up and focus on your surroundings. During my first GUE tech course the instructor got so fed up with us focussing on our gauges during ascend drills that he told us to take them off and do ascend drills without any gauge. Just use time and visual reference to an buoy line as our means of ascending. Worked perfect years ago, still works perfect. Even in blue water without any reference you always have cues if you are ascending slowly or descending. In a drysuit do you feel a bit more squeeze or does the bubble get larger, same with a bcd or wing, small particles in the water tend to move only horizontally so if you see them drift up or down you are doing the opposite...

Not saying it's easy, all in all blue water ascends and positioning is difficult, but it does become easier with above tricks and experience. I can literally read a magazine during a 6m stop and only check depth every few minutes once you get settled down.

Agree completely. Navigation will always be easier (assuming no currents etc & equal good viz) the deeper you are. I navigated to a deeper section of Dutch Springs two weeks ago and was able to nav perfectly once I decided to head down to the 30 foot range, establish bouyancy, then nav. Maintaining level depth at 15 feet while navigating for me is definitely harder than doing it at say 30 feet. I know I am 3-4 pounds overweighted due to my Steel backplate vs Aluminum which forces me to add more air in my BC and perhaps this is why but again just following the basic principle of expanding gas vs depth the air in your BC will fluctuate less at 30 than 15. This for me has made all the difference when navigating. In general the deeper I go the easier I am able to maintain near perfect buoyancy control.. go figure..

Their head goes down, their position in the water becomes extremely sloppy and they sink. Keep your head up and focus on your surroundings. During my first GUE tech course the instructor got so fed up with us focussing on our gauges during ascend drills that he told us to take them off and do ascend drills without any gauge. Just use time and visual reference to an buoy line as our means of ascending..
I guess I haven't annoyed one that much yet, but we were told to "look through our gauges" at our teammates by an instructor recently. Meaning raising the gauges high enough that we would see both the numbers and our teammates at the same time. But it certainly is both easy to do and a bad idea to get focused on just the numbers and not track the people with you.

Agree completely. Navigation will always be easier (assuming no currents etc & equal good viz) the deeper you are. I navigated to a deeper section of Dutch Springs two weeks ago and was able to nav perfectly once I decided to head down to the 30 foot range, establish bouyancy, then nav. Maintaining level depth at 15 feet while navigating for me is definitely harder than doing it at say 30 feet. I know I am 3-4 pounds overweighted due to my Steel backplate vs Aluminum which forces me to add more air in my BC and perhaps this is why but again just following the basic principle of expanding gas vs depth the air in your BC will fluctuate less at 30 than 15. This for me has made all the difference when navigating. In general the deeper I go the easier I am able to maintain near perfect buoyancy control.. go figure..

It's a given that you'll manage your bouyancy easier at a higher ATA, because the fluctuation of the expanding gas in your drysuit/wing/bcd is much less. However at a certain moment you need to ascend, make (safety/deco)stops. So being able to do that when it's the most difficult (which is when transitioning from one depth to another, shallow, while taskloading), is where it's at. If you can do that, everything else is "gravy" ;-)

I guess I haven't annoyed one that much yet, but we were told to "look through our gauges" at our teammates by an instructor recently. Meaning raising the gauges high enough that we would see both the numbers and our teammates at the same time. But it certainly is both easy to do and a bad idea to get focused on just the numbers and not track the people with you.

Very true and a good tip. In the end maintaining proper ascend speed in blue without reference and staying at a certain deco stop depth while doing other stuff is quite hard. Before I did Tech 1 (mind you I had already a normoxic ticket from another agency) it was something I was not totally at ease with. I could manage it with total focus but I was more intune whenever I had some reference (bottom) than totally out in the blue. That's why my C1 course was imo much easier for me personally than T1, because I didn't have to manage all those blue water ascends.

After T1 it "clicked" and I've done quite a lot of dives in that range and further now, and it's something I don't really have to think about anymore. Progress... Finally! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom