Mailing Items ahead.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Swamp Rat,

I have not done this, but it strikes me as unwise.

It leaves open the possibility of misplacement, loss, damage & theft at any number of points. Not to mention the cost of mailing heavy gear, properly packaged. All of these factors may well be magnified if the ultimate destination is a foreign location.

While I appreciate that bad things can happen to luggage on commercial airlines as well, I'd take my chances even if it did mean some extra schlepping.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I have to agree with the doctor.
I personally have mailed things (not equipment) back fom a trip without a problem. However, I have had clients mail things back from a trip with a problem. If you do it either way, be sure to buy the insurance the shipping company offers, and take pictures of what your sending. I believe that they want receipts too.
:sunny:

Depending upon destination, I have had friends who shipped gear ahead FedEx or UPS. That can run into big $$$ for many destinations, but they have traveled so much that they don't trust anything to the airlines as checked baggage.

Of course it is possible :wink: that the scuba gear they shipped was done on a corporate account with a note calling it something vague like "samples."

I shipped my gear back home from Maui last summer, it made it ok but I was worried sick and checked the tracking every day. Sometimes twice a day. It took forever for it to make it to Georgia. It also was way more expensive than just checking it at the airport. I did not ship my regulator, computer, camera or mask. I felt they were the major investments. But my BC, fins, and all the accessories, ie safety gear and bags were shipped. Oh, yeah my shortie wetsuit too. Even though I had throughly rinsed off the gear what a smell it had when it arrived. I figure they delivered to get rid of the odor in the truck. I will not do this again though.

Originally posted by Swamp Rat
Have any of you mailed dive items ahead to your destination prior to leaving for a trip. If so, any problems and what items?

Not yet, but I may do so in preparation for a trip to Fiji in July. While the earlier responses to your question seem to involve mailing all or most of one's dive gear in advance, I'm interested in a more limited objective.

Specifically, a reef hook is useful where I'll be diving in Fiji and I'd like to get back to my pre-911 travel mode: carryon baggage only. I doubt very much a reef hook will make it past security, so the question is check a bag or mail the reef hook. (I don't use a dive knife, so it's not an issue for me.)

Hi donacheson,

Alternatively, you can fashion your own once you arrive. Cut the tip off a heavy gauge fishhook (about a #10, stainless), or bend open one of those large safety pins women use to close kilt skirts.

Just bring your own tie off material.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom