Magnetic Switches and Stainless Steel = Failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys,
I have a little predicament I'd like a few extra heads to help me solve.
I have an Intova Compact torch with a magnetic on/off switch located on buttside.
Intova compact torch ICOM waterproof flashlight | Intova

My question is:
If I detach the wrist lanyard and replace it with a Stainless steel 1in diameter Bolt Snap (tied together with caveline).
http://www.allproducts.com/metal/kingsnaps/snap_hook-l.jpg
will this react with the magnetic switch and cause it to glitch or fail?
I have no idea how the magnetic switches work for Intova so any input or first hand experience would be ace.

And before it comes up, I am planning on making my way to a dive shop to toy around with it.
And I have thought of brass, except I don't have a local area to get them in and I don't have enough time to get one from an online source.

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure about the specifics of your application but stainless steel is supposed to be non-ferrous, as in mostly free of iron. Therefor, it should not affect your magnetic switch. A very common test to distinguish carbon steel from stainless is to check it with a magnet. The carbon will attract it where the stainless will not.

I'm not sure about the specifics of your application but stainless steel is supposed to be non-ferrous, as in mostly free of iron. Therefor, it should not affect your magnetic switch. A very common test to distinguish carbon steel from stainless is to check it with a magnet. The carbon will attract it where the stainless will not.
No stainless steel is "mostly free of iron." By definition, stainless steel has more than 50% iron and at least ~10% chromium. Whether stainless steel is magnetic or not depends mostly on whether or not nickel is in the alloy--most is non-magnetic.

No stainless steel is "mostly free of iron." By definition, stainless steel has more than 50% iron and at least ~10% chromium. Whether stainless steel is magnetic or not depends mostly on whether or not nickel is in the alloy--most is non-magnetic.

Depends on which allow... 304 has iron, 316 non magnetic, 410 (I think is higher quality)...

Depends on which alloy... 304 has iron, 316 non magnetic, 410 (I think is higher quality)...
They all have iron. All steel has iron, including stainless steel. The addition of nickel renders the alloy non-magnetic.

Guess I should first check to see if the bolt snap is even magnetic. That'll save a lot more time
than trying to dabble with it and my flashlight xD

Also for the curious, my application is to have a way to connect the flash light to my BC and also have a lanyard capability.
I keep the Intova in a weight pouch on my belt as a back up flash light when on scuba.
I also plan to use it as a primary when skin diving for those dark nooks and crannys.
For that reason I want a bolt snap. I plan on clipping it to my BC if I ever need to deploy it. As for skin diving, I'd clip a circle of rubber tubing to it to act as a lanyard when skin diving.

A bolt snap is probably a 300 series stainless, so almost completely non-magnetic, and thus fine. A strong magnet may show a weak pull toward it, but that's fine too. If the magnet pulls strongly toward it, it isn't stainless, and you may want your money back. Also, I'd think twice about using it for this application, though even a plain steel snap is PROBABLY okay.

By the way, some small hardware stores, and even large home centers stock brass snaps.

D

Thanks DIW
All the stores I looked at yesterday carry either Stainless or Bronze
I found out from google that bronze is supposedly harder and more corrosion resistant than brass so I'm going to try that out.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input and help.
Here's how it turned out.
I decided to use a bronze 3/4in bolt snap. It's attached with caveline using a square knot that was singed then sealed with neoprene cement. (I didn't have superglue handy)
The lanyard was cut and reworked to form a loop using double blood knots for easy ditch.
Just pull and you're free.

I think for diving I'll just have it clipped to my BC, sans the lanyard.
But for skin diving it'll be in my weight belt pouch, with the lanyard attached, in case I'm feeling nosy. ;D

CustomIntova.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom