Made my seacure better...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilycat

Contributor
Reaction score
I was having some trouble with my seacure (and other mouthpieces) b/c they would rub my lower gum where the roots make the gum protrude a bit.

I got the mouthpiece molded as well as I could, but it still rubbed a little.

I took it to the dentist today to see what he could do. He fixed me right up. He marked my gums with dye, had me put the reg in my mouth to transfer ink from the offending areas, and then sanded away the materials in that area. He rechecked it and removed a little more seacure material -- now it is really perfect.

Thought I'd share the solution.

Exellent idea, I think I might try that! Thanks for sharing!

I fixed my Seacure mouthpiece, too.

Replaced it with an Apeks Comfo-Bite mouthpiece:D

My sea cure rubbed my lower gums also. I use it with the "seacure" on the bottom.

Doc Harry:
I fixed my Seacure mouthpiece, too.

Replaced it with an Apeks Comfo-Bite mouthpiece:D

I hate those things.....the piece that is supposed to fit on the inner gums/roof of your mouth makes me gag and irritates the crap out of me.

No problem like that with the Seacure.....but then again I am used to those since I had to wear it when playing Rugby.

ramgib:
My sea cure rubbed my lower gums also. I use it with the "seacure" on the bottom.

I did this too, but it didn't completely fix the problem. Now, with the upside down configuration and the specialized removal of material, I think I'm good.

Tamas:
I hate those things.....the piece that is supposed to fit on the inner gums/roof of your mouth makes me gag and irritates the crap out of me.

No problem like that with the Seacure.....but then again I am used to those since I had to wear it when playing Rugby.

I hate the Aqua Lung / Apeks Comfo-bite mouthpieces as well - for similar reasons - the end result is the same for me - but love the Seacure.

Thanks for sharing the tip lilycat. I think if I have a similar problem I'll try this out with a Dremel tool to shave away the parts that rub. Maybe I'll use Gatorade Xtreme for the dye.

I had the same issue with mine, but fixed it the cheap way. I used a Dremal Tool with a router type bit to "sand" off a little material at a time from the bottom. I would wash it and stick it back in my mouth everytime I took a little bit off until it was comfortable. Now I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world (got TMJ :05: ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom