Macro setting for Gopro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what i meant was, you are currently filming the subject at 10m, then after that, you would like to film another subject which is 1 to 2m away from you. Do you need to start a new clip, as it will re-focus?

I do not think a dip lens will help right?

In photography, there is something known as depth of focus (dof).

This is the range in which objects will appear to be in focus. An example would be from 2ft in front of the the camera through 10ft away. The dof would be the 8ft from 2-10ft.

For a gopro, when unmodified and completely stock, the dof is from 1ft to infinity. This means anything at least 1ft away from the gopro will be in focus.

Probably not the most exact explanation, but hopefully good enough.

This is the range in which objects will appear to be in focus. An example would be from 2ft in front of the the camera through 10ft away. The dof would be the 8ft from 2-10ft.

For a gopro, when unmodified and completely stock, the dof is from 1ft to infinity. This means anything at least 1ft away from the gopro will be in focus.

Probably not the most exact explanation, but hopefully good enough.

do you mean that the focus point of gopro is fixed at 1ft?
anything from 1ft to infinity will be in focus?

means the aperture is quite small? like F11?

do you mean that the focus point of gopro is fixed at 1ft?
anything from 1ft to infinity will be in focus?

means the aperture is quite small? like F11?

No, focus plane is not necessarily at 1ft.

Yes, based on what that other guy posted. I don't know personally, just repeating what he claims.

No, aperture is 2.8

The GoPro has NO focusing mechanism whatsoever. No need to start and stop recording. Anything say over 1ft in distance is always in focus. If you want to film closer than that 1ft then you need the additional lenses and you still would not need to stop and start recording.

FTR, the same is true for most (all?) other action cameras out there, Contour, Sony, Intova, etc..

AKA Depth of Field. The GoPro is f2.8, and you really don't need a macro... Might want to mess around with the normal/medium/wide settings also, this option is basically a fisheye or not. The GoPro takes decent stills, but it's much better in the video department. I just made a time lapse last weekend and the software they provide makes it very easy.

i had tried doing video on T2i before, with the aperture of 2.8. the DoF is very narrow.

To have a wide DoF, the focal distance of the subject shouldn't be too near like 1 to 5 feet. if it focal distance is 1feet, then the background would be bokeh.

Would love to get a gopro, but would need to know more details. :)
As my wife like to have a small camera with her.

i had tried doing video on T2i before, with the aperture of 2.8. the DoF is very narrow.

To have a wide DoF, the focal distance of the subject shouldn't be too near like 1 to 5 feet. if it focal distance is 1feet, then the background would be bokeh.
Try the same thing with a (ultra) wide angle lens on your T2i. The focal length is tiny, somewhere between 3 and 5 mm or so (couldn't find exact specs).

i set to focus distance at 1.2feet and F2.8. anything more than 1.2feet was blur.

focal length of my lens is 17mm
So your aperture was ~6 mm. With the focal length of the gopro being 3 mm, aperture would be ~1 mm. Quite a difference.

You could also just watch some footage and see for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom