Macro setting for Gopro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aperture is relative to the lens. 2.8 on the GoPro is not the same as 2.8 on a DSLR lens.

Try setting aperture to 5.6 or higher on your T2i lens. If you are shooing manual, you might have to increase ISO to get proper exposure.

If you have any questions on Photography, this guy goes over the basics VERY well. A Simple Guide to Depth of Field - YouTube

---------- Post added September 5th, 2013 at 01:38 PM ----------

...for you guys that do use a Hero3 when diving, what FPS are you using and 720p or 1080p? I know 720p 120fps is good for slow-mo, but isn't a lower fps better in low light?

thanks guys. got the rough idea of the camera.
now is the question. Should I wait for Hero 4? I think it will be coming out next month right?

Do you know what they are upgrading? Unless it has some crazy new advancement in stability, the Hero3 will be fine...I mean, it shoots 4K, no display is going to need more than that any time soon. I say get the Hero3 and start having fun with it ASAP! :)

If you have any questions on Photography, this guy goes over the basics VERY well. A Simple Guide to Depth of Field - YouTube

---------- Post added September 5th, 2013 at 01:38 PM ----------

...for you guys that do use a Hero3 when diving, what FPS are you using and 720p or 1080p? I know 720p 120fps is good for slow-mo, but isn't a lower fps better in low light?

Yes and yes.

I like 1080p since its a higher res but 720p does look good and gives you the option of 120fps if you need that. The higher fps is better for slow-mo and the lower fps better for low light. It depends on your application. I've used 60fps but have only done shallow dives. I tend to slow clips down just a bit sometimes. I've been having that dilemma a bit lately, do I go 30fps or 60fps on a deeper dive (50-70ft)? If the 30fps doesn't affect my slight slowdowns of video then 30fps it is.

Sensor size will also have an effect on DOF, smaller sensor = more DOF. By DSLR standards, the gopro has a tiny sensor so f2.8 on the gopro is nowhere close to 2.8 on your canon (in terms of DOF).

The GoPro sensor is actually about 3.5 stops off the T2i so an f2.8 in the GoPro would be comparable to an f9.5 in the T2i.

Sensor size will also have an effect on DOF, smaller sensor = more DOF. By DSLR standards, the gopro has a tiny sensor so f2.8 on the gopro is nowhere close to 2.8 on your canon (in terms of DOF).

How does sensor size affect dof?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom