Mackinaw City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I keep meaning to make a nice writeup for this trip, but Its been over a year, so here is a crappy one with pictures.

I headed up to Mackinaw City and Presque Isle for a week last August. It was some of the nicest diving I've ever done. Headed up there with my Fundies instructor, Ed Gabe, and a friend named Jim. We dove on Greg Such's boat, the Little Alexandria. Ed had just bought a housing for his Canon T2i, and I had the same camera, so I got to play around with it a little too. I was surprised what a major difference this is from my crappy UW PNS camera.

We get there and check out the USCG Icebreaker on display there:

First dive was the Cedarville

Our second dive on the Stalker
Ed Near the stern

Me in the bow (Ed Gabe picture)

Second day first dive on Eber Ward

Second dive was on the Sandusky. Ed sat this out, and I played with the camera.
Great vis right off the mooring

Working our way to the Bow (my favorite pic from the trip)

The Centerboard Winch. Great Lakes sails had to go through shallow locks and canals. They needed a way to raise and lower the centerboard (centerboard - The wing shaped thing that points down below the hull to keep the wind from blowing the ship over. Think the underside of a surfboard.)

The thing Jim just kicked past is the Centerboard box. When the Centerboard gets winched up, it tucks inside this box. It's waterproof, and stoutly built, so its a feature on almost all Great Lakes wooden sailing ships. Notice in the previous pictures, the decking is starting to collapse, but the support beams around the centerboard box are still supported. Some ships like the Wells Burt in Chicago had two centerboards, the Sandusky only had one.

Distinctive carved ramshead on the bow

The big picture...

Glamour shot (Greg's suggestion: Hold the camera backwards, and you get a surprisingly good self portrait. Good tip)

Day 3 Dive 1 The Young (Ed Gabe picture)

Day3 Dive 2 Cedarville Stern

Group love!

The Mackinaw bridge is the second/first/third longest in the country (depending on how you measure.) There is a neat little park with a beach and stuff next to it.

I set up my camera on this little jut of land just East of the beach, and waited until sunset. Two other guys showed up shortly after I had staked my claim.

Some fog started rolling in just before they turned the bridge lights on, but the shot still turned out ok...

Drove to PI the next day. These were great dives, but we don't have photos.

Nice photos.
Maybe next year we can get up their. Its looks like great diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom