Mackinac Straits trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm planning to dive in the Mackinac Straits area with Abyss Dive Charters on August 7, 2004. At this time there is room for 5-6 people on the boat. The plan is to do 3 or 4 dives on that day.

Let me know if you are interested in joining me on this trip.

jbd:
I'm planning to dive in the Mackinac Straits area with Abyss Dive Charters on August 7, 2004. At this time there is room for 5-6 people on the boat. The plan is to do 3 or 4 dives on that day.

Let me know if you are interested in joining me on this trip.

Do you know what wrecks you're diving?

MikeFerrara:
Do you know what wrecks you're diving?
At this time I'm not sure which wrecks we will be diving. To some extent tha maybe determined by who goes on the trip and what we want to do. I would like to do a short penetration into the Cedarville on this trip if possible.

DivingGal,
Would love to have you along on the trip again this year. I will get some more information as soon as I get a bit more organized. I do know that we need to get deposit money in soon.

You all have fun that weekend....I'll be in Indianapolis drinking beer, camping out, chowing on good drub, and watching cars go around a racetrack if I find some free time.

Part of me is jealous I can't get back to the straits....the other half of me is damn excited to go to another race.

BTW - Mike, I don't know what wrecks you've been on up there, but the 4 we hit last year were certainly pretty sweet. They were The Young, The Sandusky, The Cedarville, and The Barnum. All of those were recreational depths (110' max depth)

Big-t-2538:
BTW - Mike, I don't know what wrecks you've been on up there, but the 4 we hit last year were certainly pretty sweet. They were The Young, The Sandusky, The Cedarville, and The Barnum. All of those were recreational depths (110' max depth)

I've done some of the wrecks off Whitefish but I haven't dived the Straits at all.

Shallow's cool as long as the wreck are good. I've been wanting to dive the Sandusky.

Big-t-2538:
You all have fun that weekend....I'll be in Indianapolis drinking beer, camping out, chowing on good drub, and watching cars go around a racetrack if I find some free time.

Part of me is jealous I can't get back to the straits....the other half of me is damn excited to go to another race.

... that I haven't dove and that is the Cedarville. They are all worth the "price of admission". I am somewhat jealous, but I have two trips already scheduled up there this year. The Sandusky is beautifully preserved. My dive log notes the fish on the Barnum and the Young is a very sweet wreck as well.

If you guys decide to do all 4 dives in one day.

The Cedarville is huge....it's 488'. It's easily a wreck you could make 2 dives on, the second being a shallower dive since the range on that wreck is really 60' to 110'. We only made 1 on her last year which was from the stern end. I would love to make 2 on her in one trip (bow and mid section)...it's just a massive wreck, with a wicked huge hole in the center where she collided with another ship in the fog.

You could head back to port, grab some grub and fills (air is the only thing available) then head back out on the boat.

In the afternoon, you guys could hit the Maitland & Sandusky on the other side of the bridge. Both of these are are "woodys" and in 70 to 85 feet of water, upright, and intact (according to the website...I can't say for sure about the Maitland). The Sandusky was a great dive, and I'd love to see her again.

If we do go back to the Sandusky-- do you think we'll find the fin someone lost last year? :D

Back
Top Bottom