Mackinac Straights Dive Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topsailsun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband and I are going to my family reunion in northern Michigan this summer. I've always wanted to dive Mackinac Straight and since we'll be so close we've decided to carve out the time from family to do it. I'm super excited! My husband and I are getting dry suit certified before the trip because we want the option as we expand our diving experiences, so we could dive dry if necessary. Is it cold enough that dry suits would be necessary or strongly encouraged? Or would a 5/7mil and hood be sufficient?

Also, we're struggling to find much info online about dive operators. My husband has a list of places to call this week and get info from, but does anyone have any recommendations or experiences they can offer?

Are there any wrecks that are your favorites? Or any which are particularly good for relatively new wreck divers?

Thank you!

I would recommend the drysuits even for the shallower wrecks. Go to the Straits preserve site to look at all the shipwrecks. The better wrecks will be found in the deeper waters.

A 7mm wetsuit isn't too bad later in the summer, but you'll be much more comfortable in a dry suit. Contact Straits Scuba: Straits Scuba.
The Eber Ward is a really nice wreck to see.

Second for Straits Scuba. You will want the drysuit. Temperatures on the wrecks are usually less than 50. At 100 feet, it's usually 42-45. The Eber Ward is a great dive and a favorite of Straits regulars, but it might be a little advanced for relatively new wreck divers. It's deep (over 100 feet to the deck) and big. The Sandusky, one of the iconic dives in the Straits, would be a great place to start. It's shallow, maybe 75 feet to the bottom, and a very cool wreck. It sank before the Civil War. The Cedarville would also be good. It's a 500ft+ lake freight that sank on the 60s. About 100 feet to the mud. There are buoys on the bow and stern. It takes two dives to see it all.

Drysuit....temps below the first layer are quite cool. Even a good 7mm full rig is gonna leave ya cold by 30 minutes.

ymmv..jmo.

Bubs ( dives Lake Mich pretty often)

My group just returned from a weekend dive trip to the Straits and I cannot say enough good things about the above mentioned Northern Michigan Dive Center.
They looked after us when the operator that we had booked with let us down. They have a great boat that is both fast and comfortable, the fill station is well equipped with both banked and custom Nitrox and they can also fill Trimix. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful and made us very welcome. The highlight of the weekend was a visit to the Newell Eddy, a schooner of 273 feet that sits intact with the exception of the stern, all 3 masts still standing and sitting upright in 160 feet of water. This wreck is about 50 minutes from their location in the opposite direction to the bridge and probably further than the dive boats in Mackinaw City or St. Ignace normally visit.

What could have been a disaster of a weekend after driving for 9 hours only to find that our booked charter had been forgotten despite several confirmations turned out instead to be one of the best weekends our club has experienced. The Newell Eddy has now replaced the Eber Ward as my favourite wreck in the area and is also one of my all-time favourites.

Thank you Northern Michigan Dive Center for a great weekend. We will be back.

The Newell Eddy has now replaced the Eber Ward as my favourite wreck in the area and is also one of my all-time favourites.
Better than the Eber Ward?? Blasphemy! :shocked2: The Eddy is very nice indeed.

Back
Top Bottom