Macho Men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
we have a lot in commong then. i am a great wee wee diver too

well, at least, i was, until i went dry... now i'm a great hold it diver
:lol:

Gidds:
I am trying to find myself some dive buddies and I'd prefer to dive with another female but I somehow forgot what a "macho" sport this is! Now that I've had time to think about it yes the majority of the people at local dive sites are men, most of the employees at the LDS are men, and boy there seem to be a lot of men on this board!

Do you ladies dive primarily with a.) men b.) other ladies c.) 50/50?

I'm going to see if the LDS can help me find a female buddy but I may just have to bite the bullet.

Maybe I'm an anomaly here, but of my regular dive buddies, I would say more than half are women, and my most frequent dive buddy is a woman. She and I have been diving together since we basically started up the instructor path, from rescue onwards. And she became an instructor also earlier this year. But in all honesty, I never really gave it a second thought. A dive shop owner a couple hours away where I dive frequently once commented to me that I always bring the women. Never really thought much about that either, but now that you mention it....

Lost,
Whose post are you referring to?

I typically dive either solo (with a pony and am solo-certified) or with a male dive buddy who I completed the majority of my training with. Diving w/ someone I've trained with takes away any machisimo that normally would be there since he and I are at the same level. Typically, he ironically relies on me to navigate back to the anchor line and generally plan our dive. It would be great to see more women out on the local NJ dive boats. I can't say the male population will lure you with their good looks and charm but the women that are out there are absolutely fantastic....open-minded, friendly and excellent divers.

My wife actually thinks that I will cheat on her if I find a female diver.....since diving is my life and now she hates diving altogether......

so i should just find a female diver? right?

Still been lucky buddy-wise. I've usually dived with men simply because there are more of them diving Monterey, but have dived recently many times with a great female dive buddy who's as gung ho as I am.

Still haven't run into a lot of the bullheaded machismo stuff. Occasionally people grab stuff for me (male and female), but I suspect that's because I'm slow getting ready so I don't forget stuff. But I've been called on to jump off a boat to help tie, help carry gear, carry both tanks someplace, haul stuff around, no worries.

Also haven't had any guys being grabby/creepy through buddydom. All these gentlemen!

I'm not sure what "macho men" really means to people. A man offering to help with my gear is just polite, not sexist. I see men helping each other on boats all the time. It's called teamwork.
My primary buddy is my husband and I generally prefer men over women. To date I've only met one female diver who I enjoyed diving with and she was my dry suit instructor. Very good instructor and an awesome DIR diver. In my experience, the women I've been on dives with have been very timid and afraid to go below 80 feet, dive with sharks, etc. Very stereotypical but I think that might be due to the location (tropical resorts) and the type of women they attract. I don't know. There was one time where this woman held her husband's hand for the entire dive and did this for 3 or 4 dives. She had bouyancy problems and couldn't swim and was only comfortable holding his hand. I was embarassed on behalf of the entire female gender.

There are several female divers on this board whom I would love to dive with based on their experiences and mindset. But until I meet them or women divers like them, I will probably continue to dive with just my hubby. He dives with both male and female and has no preference apart from them being competent.

Oh, and obnoxious people abound in both genders. So the trick is to find a respectful, skilled, buddy regardless of gender.

seaboyforever:
My wife actually thinks that I will cheat on her if I find a female diver.....since diving is my life and now she hates diving altogether......

so i should just find a female diver? right?

My wife is usually my buddy. She also helps me out with the dive trips I organize. She gave me signals that she wouldn't come on our next trip, because she prefers saving up her vacation for a "real vacation" (Like in a warm place...). Now one of the prettier (single) ladies from our latest trip gave us word she is coming on our next (week long) trip also. Good for her! Suddenly my wife changed her mind and wants to go "arctic diving" anyway.

Go figure.... :06:

In all the diving I've done so far, I've had ONE female dive buddy. It's not that I don't want to dive with women, it's that all the divers I meet seem to be men. I've met them through our shop, and I've met them over the internet, and to date, have had NO macho bad experiences. One man, an instructor at our shop, swims way too fast for me underwater, but that's been the only problem.

My husband has gotten used to me saying, "Sweetheart, I'm going to be home late tonight because I'm out with Bob (or Greg or Jason or . . . ) He copes well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom