M1 Y not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Looks like I'm buying the Atomic M1 from Larry & Joe (ScubaToys) on Monday. I need a good, cold water reg. Any reason why I shouldn't buy it?

Rick Inman:
Looks like I'm buying the Atomic M1 from Larry & Joe (ScubaToys) on Monday. I need a good, cold water reg. Any reason why I shouldn't buy it?

I have an M1 and a Scubapro Mk25/X650. No reason to not buy the M1 (I like it better than my SP). Check to see if there is someone in the area that works on them, in the event of a problem or it needs service. Only an Atomic dealer can (or should be able to) get the parts and service manuals. If the closest Atomic dealer is a long distance away it could present a problem. If there is someone nearby, ask them to match Scuba Toys price. If they won't budge then go ahead and buy it from Larry & Joe.

Caution: If you do buy it from Scuba Toys don't rub it in your local dealer's face... they may just refuse to work on it in the future, or inflate the shop rate to make up for the lost sale. I have a local dealer who refuses to work on any regulator that has been purchased on the internet... period. He will turn down the paid service and repair work to teach the internet buyer a lesson. Just something to keep in mind.

absolutely not. They are great regs. If you don;t mind the price too much you are ok. The only thing is make sure that you aer near somewhere that can service the thing is a couple years.

wmspdi:
Caution: If you do buy it from Scuba Toys don't rub it in your local dealer's face... they may just refuse to work on it in the future, or inflate the shop rate to make up for the lost sale. I have a local dealer who refuses to work on any regulator that has been purchased on the internet... period. He will turn down the paid service and repair work to teach the internet buyer a lesson. Just something to keep in mind.

Sounds like he is just begging to go out of business.

I just don't understand this type of attitude. Instead of trying to win your business through good service he will give away money and alienate customers at the same time.

Kestrell:
Sounds like he is just begging to go out of business.

I just don't understand this type of attitude. Instead of trying to win your business through good service he will give away money and alienate customers at the same time.

Oh yeah, I got my M1 from Scuba Toys too. I love it. You may want to consider DIN if you haven't already. I haven't had any problems with my yoke setup, but I want to get some HP tanks and DIN is what I need for them. I'll be getting my regulator converted (at Scuba Toys) this winter.

wmspdi:
Well. I have a great relationship with my LDS, but we're not married, for goodness sake. I have a dive club and have sent him thousands of dollars of business. I have spent thousands in his shop myself. But, yes, they all know I'll buy else were if necessary. I just bought a White dry suit from my LDS for 125.00 more then I could have on line. My LDS tossed in 120.00 worth of air cards to make the deal with me.
Anytime they can, they happily service anything I own, regardless of where I bought it. Oh, yes, we all give each other a hard time - all in fun. "You bought it ONLINE?? You traitor!" "Yeah, 'cause you thieves are such a rip-off!" Oh, yes, when I buy it from ScubaToys, I plan on rubbing it in their faces. :eyebrow:
BTW, ScubaToys will service the reg for 40.00 with a 3 day turn around time.

I have never heard of a place doing this. If you didn't buy it from them it is for a reason. While they may not do warranty work or do some tune ups for free that is a little more understandable. But inflating prices and refusing your money is something I have never heard of.

All I know is that I brought up Leisure Pro's price one time and I was told that "they would not service any regs purchased on the internet or mail order. The customer could take them somewhere else." We have three dive shops in the area. One is an Atomic dealer, one is a Zeagle dealer and the shop I referenced above is the exclusive dealer for 4 or 5 other brands (one of which I use). The next closest LDS that carries the same brand is an hour or more away. I think he feels that since the mfgs have given him the marketing rights in his area, that he should take a stand against the web shops.

In his defense he has been pretty good to me and he does give his regular customers (read that to mean the guys who know what this stuff is really worth) a break from list price, but no where near what you could get it for on eBay. I don't know how he prices gear for the newbees. Soon it won't matter to me... I am slowly switching all my regulators over to Atomic (my new M1 arrives this week). I'll be dealing with a new shop for the service and repairs. I'll still buy things from him when the price is right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom