Luxfer's "Supernatural" finish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a steel tank after a couple of years. Would I buy one, yep.

From afar it looks almost exactly like the finish on my fiancee's steel 72s, both of which were manufactured in the 70s.

Just thought anyone interested in these cylinders might want a picture. :)

My girlfriend bought me two, but I hid them under the stairs because I wouldn't be caught dead with one. The finish is abysmal and it clashes with my outfit.

i could not care less about what a tank looks like as long it is safe and functions. but i am a function over form type of guy, fwiw.

The "protective" aluminum oxide layer will form instantly on bare aluminum; brushed, blasted, or whatever. It takes a surface treatment to avoid this. Ever seen the white powdery stuff that shows up on an old unpainted storm door? That's the same thing.

It is unlikely that a cylinder of this kind could oxidize to the extent it is damaged. With constant use in and out of salt water, it could become rough looking... outside. It's what's inside that counts.

This is all fine for a tank. You may not want it on (for example) an aluminum flashlight, as the oxide, if heavy, may come off on your hands.

My girlfriend bought me two, but I hid them under the stairs because I wouldn't be caught dead with one. The finish is abysmal and it clashes with my outfit.

But...do they make you look fat?! :eyebrow:

Pirates Cove does not have "clean" air.

......as far as AL tanks go, my preferred 'finish' is the 'shot blasted' one....looks good, the pre-textured nature of the finish hides minor scratches/dings......and it's a bit 'grippier' for tank bands to hold on to without slippage.

Karl

Pirates Cove does not have "clean" air.

Lets hope their air meets at least grade E or better in which case, one fill is not going to require an oxygen clean tank to need to be oxygen cleaned again. If you are partial pressure blending you probably do not need to be concerned if you know what youre doing. If you just want this filled with pre mix nitrox it is not an issue at all.

Have no fear!

You are right that any kind of finish on aluminum acts as a trap for salt water and starts a corrosion cell on its way to pitting. Best thing to do with a painted alum tank to be used in salt is to get the paint off so the alum can form its protective oxide which it will do in several hours exposure to air.

i could not care less about what a tank looks like as long it is safe and functions. but i am a function over form type of guy, fwiw.

Ditto. Picked up a couple of Luxfers 80 AL's to use as doubles in SW and the seller was concerned about all the crap under the clear coat. It was just a bit of oxidation but after brushing the tanks are perfect. Tanks should be bare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom