Luxfer's "Supernatural" finish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane

Contributor
Reaction score
A few questions...link here with the product flyer for these cylinders.

1: Anyone have a cylinder with this? If you do, what are your experiences?
2: Can any Luxfer dealer order these cylinders in small batches, or do they have to order an entire pallet, or what?
3: Can you get these in sizes other than Al80s?

For those who don't know, it's actually not a 'finish' at all -- they just don't do anything after the heat treatment part of the manufacturing process. No brushing/shot-blasting/painting -- just plain metal. It keeps the aluminum oxide layer intact and is said to be quite corrosion resistive, and doesn't have the look of the tank fade with time (like my original brushed Al80s, which quickly went from quite bright and shiny to dull).

I was recently in the Milwaukee area and stopped in at Pirate's Cove Diving because my fiancee had a gift certificate to there from her parents. We decided to pick up an Al80 with this finish due to the nice price -- $150, including the Thermo DIN/yoke pro valve. Original hydro was 11/07 so there's ~4 years left on it. These cylinders were $20 less than the normal painted/shot-blast/brushed cylinders, so we thought it was a good deal (especially with a $100 gift certificate :D).

Tank itself looks ugly with marks all over it, but I'm sure it will work nicely and won't have any issues with corrosion. The tank itself is quite smooth, almost feels like something with a matte finish. I'll try to get some shots up when I'm back in town if anyone cares.

The main reason I'm asking all this is because I generally like the brushed finish -- long lasting, wear resistant and corrosion resistant, and looks decent...but these were cheaper than usual. :D Anyone know of a shop that sells these closer to NC? If a local place here can get some (especially at a comparable price) that would be fantastic.

...as a side note, anyone know if Pirate's Cove in Milwaukee has oxygen compatible air? I had it filled with air (wasn't thinking, in a rush, stupid me for getting a fill at an unknown shop :shakehead:) while we were there, and this cylinder was O2 clean from the factory -- don't want to ruin that if at all possible...

Last edited:
That looks like an old rental tank.

Why would any AL tank have issues with corrosion though? The same thing that stops corrosion on the supernatural tank, is going to stop corrosion on a normal tank.

Places where normal paint has been chipped or scarred on Al tanks can hide salt deposits and such.

I have a Luxfer AL80 with the natural finish. I use it as a stage bottle and so far I am very happy. It's been used in fresh water caves only but it's been nice not having to worry about scratching it. Since it is a stage it gets bashed around against rocks, tied up to rails on the boat and so forth. After several dives it looks exactly (i.e. just as ugly) as it did when new. I plan to buy some more of these tanks.

Your LDS should be able to order small (e.g. one tank) from Sea Pearls/XS Scuba. The shop does get a break on shipping (and probably on the price of the tank) above a certain quantity so it might help to get some buddies together to order a bunch all at once.

I don't know about sizes other than 80 but since all tanks regardless of size start out as natural finish it stands to reason that they should be available - I guess it depends on whether Luxfer and their distributors think there is a market. I'd like to have a 40 in the same finish.

If you strip painted Luxfer's you will often find the same "ugly" finish underneath.

Dive Rite Express suggest using the "brushed no-coat finish"

Aluminum Pony, Deco, and Argon SCUBA Diving Cylinders, Tanks, and Bottles

Yes, however, these are cheaper. I am well versed with the brushed finish -- I was planning on having all my Al tanks having the brushed finish until I saw these were $20 cheaper (having a $100 gift certificate helped the decision too). While the brushed finish retains the look, over time it gets pretty dirty and loses the bright shiny finish you see in the dive shop -- might as well start off ugly, then. :D

I have several gov/mil Luxfer tanks in that finish. I like the look. As rjack mentioned, it is under most paint finishes. I think the 80 is the only size that Luxfer has made in that finish for civilians.

If anyone cares, here's a shot.

new_al80.jpg

Looks like a steel tank after a couple of years. Would I buy one, yep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom