external corrosion / pitting on aluminium cylinders - how bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Main problem with aluminum tanks that have been exposed to saltwater/humidity for long periods is galvanic corrosion around the sealing land at the neck. Check for bubbles under the valve. If you have bubbles it may or may not seal with some cleaning (scotch pad) and a new oring.

As others said, the tanks in the photos look fine to me. 👍

A couple of years ago, I came across a Luxfer’s Scuba Cylinder Visual Inspection Guide

The red text on the first page is my notes.

Attachments

• Luxfer Scuba Visual Inspection Guide.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
A couple of years ago, I came across a Luxfer’s Scuba Cylinder Visual Inspection Guide

The red text on the first page is my notes.
Giving this a quick skim, it covers a lot of the same material as the Visual Inspection class I just took, and appears well written. This may not exactly the same as getting Visual Inspection training (It doesn't cover things like ISO cylinders, steel cylinders, or other manufacturers), but would be a good guide for anyone who wants to do preliminary inspections of their own cylinders, or perhaps be a more informed buyer of used tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom