Luxfer or Catalina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering about the differences between these 2 tanks in relation to Nitrox use. The Luxfer AL80 tanks have a sticker on them that say they are Nitrox ready (I am paraphrasing because I don't have them in front of me, but the website says "Luxfer scuba cylinders are specially prepared at the factory to be suitable for use with oxygen-enriched air mixtures") and the Catalina tanks appearantly don't come Nitrox ready.
Anyone know if the Luxfer tanks are just Nitrox ready (as in banked Nitrox <40%), or all they also safe/ready for PP filling, where 100% o2 is added first then topped off with air?
And if the Catalina tanks have to be cleaned and prepped for O2 service (which costs alot extra), is there any reason to buy them if you dive Nitrox?
It just seems there is a big difference there, so I am wondering if I am missing something, or should I only be buying Luxfer tanks to cut down on the hassle...
Thanks,
Jason

in our lds even if the manufacturer says o2 clean/nitrox ready we do a o2 cleaning..Found too many coming from factory that had particulate material inside and grease on threads...Also if you are to use these for nitrox why not get larger volume tanks to make use of the longer bottom time nitrox affords you.

I have had both brands. No problem with my old Catalina (since retired). My Luxfer gave me a fair bit of trouble. However, I can't trace it directly to the tank (they have offered a complete inspection of it to try to see what happened). I did buy a replacement Luxfer out of faith that the tank was a fluke. I usually dive HP steel.

Jason, there is no simple answer. Until recently, Luxfer said that their tanks were clean enough for oxygen service. However, lately, they've been saying that their tanks are OK for NITROX but that O2 clean tanks have to be special ordered. Oxygen service comes into play if the tank is injected with pure oxygen. This occurs during the process known as "partial pressure mixing" in which the cylinder is partially filled with oxygen and topped off with air or some other gas. The other processes, generally known as continuous flow blending or decanting, are not subject to oxygen rules. That is, many, if not the majority of divers treat NITROX the same as air. I don't know about Catalina. However, it has been industry practice for several years to deliver new tanks which are very clean. I use steel tanks and I believe that PST and Faber deliver tanks clean enough for oxygen. In any case, I have filled them with O2 without problems. However, I have never seen grease on the threads of a new steel tank. That is something I just became aware of, that aluminum tanks have grease on the threads. Huh.

The grease is there to provide a crude dielectic barrier (insulator) between the aluminum and the valve, to prevent dissimilar metal aka galvanic corrosion. This is a particular problem with aluminum tanks since aluminum is a very galvanically active metal, especially compared to steel .

Dissimilar metal corrosion is a major cause of stuck valves and erroded threads on badly maintained alu tanks, so grease should always be used, but only O2-safe grease on tanks which will see high FO2s. One assumes Luxfer, and probaby Catalina too, is using something appropriate but it would be interesting to know for sure.

oxyhacker:
It's supposed to be there. It would be interesting to know what it is, though.
I agree with you about a lube on threads but it does not look like it is o2 ok..when in doubt clean it..also it was not on every tank for this manufacturer,just a few..but 1 would be too many if something happened.

pescador775:
Jason, there is no simple answer. Until recently, Luxfer said that their tanks were clean enough for oxygen service. However, lately, they've been saying that their tanks are OK for NITROX but that O2 clean tanks have to be special ordered. Oxygen service comes into play if the tank is injected with pure oxygen. This occurs during the process known as "partial pressure mixing" in which the cylinder is partially filled with oxygen and topped off with air or some other gas. The other processes, generally known as continuous flow blending or decanting, are not subject to oxygen rules. That is, many, if not the majority of divers treat NITROX the same as air. I don't know about Catalina. However, it has been industry practice for several years to deliver new tanks which are very clean. I use steel tanks and I believe that PST and Faber deliver tanks clean enough for oxygen. In any case, I have filled them with O2 without problems. However, I have never seen grease on the threads of a new steel tank. That is something I just became aware of, that aluminum tanks have grease on the threads. Huh.

All Luxfer cylinders sold by Sea Pearls to dive stores are O2 clean and state so on the care label. Luxfers' main product line is medical E cylinders and I have complete confidence in their products.

Lee

www.seapearls.com

It would be nice if Luxfer showed the same confidence. Maybe some of these dive shops would back off.

pescador775:
It would be nice if Luxfer showed the same confidence. Maybe some of these dive shops would back off.

I am at my desk with a cylinder from my first shipment in 2006 (hydro 1/06)
It clearly states on the cylinder "This cylinder was cleaned for oxygen and oxygen-enriched service at the Luxfer factory."

If anyone at Luxfer is saying otherwise I would like a name (please e-mail me).

If anything changes in what I've stated, I will post it!

Lee
www.seapearls.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom