Luxfer or Catalina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hacker, thanks, good explanation. I presumed that aluminum tanks would be delivered with plastic dummy plugs and that the retailer would add the Christolube or Krytox to the valve threads. Ordinarily, one would guess that the stuff, if any, on Luxfer's tank neck threads is an anti seize compound. However, the best dielectric grease that is available to Joe Diver is silicone 4X or the like and that is probably what the stuff is, if in fact galvanic corrosion is a concern at the factory level.

oxyhacker:
The grease is there to provide a crude dielectic barrier (insulator) between the aluminum and the valve, to prevent dissimilar metal aka galvanic corrosion. This is a particular problem with aluminum tanks since aluminum is a very galvanically active metal, especially compared to steel .

Dissimilar metal corrosion is a major cause of stuck valves and erroded threads on badly maintained alu tanks, so grease should always be used, but only O2-safe grease on tanks which will see high FO2s. One assumes Luxfer, and probaby Catalina too, is using something appropriate but it would be interesting to know for sure.

Please be aware that when we recieve the cylinders from Luxfer NO lubicant is on the threads, any lubricant applied happened at the point of installation of the valve.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Lead King. Luxfer's statement--- until the next statement. Sometimes, complaining does help. I'll bet they heard plenty. Thanks for the latest.

You are right, of course. I was forgetting that Luxfer cylinders do not come with valves installed, and the grease would be added when the valve was, not by Luxfer. Though I am sure they have recommendations on the subject. So where is the grease Oly mentioned coming from, I wonder?

The point I wanted to make, though, is that some grease belongs there, so grease there isn't necessarily a bad thing, and if removed in the cleaning process should be replaced with the correct stuff.

Leadking:
Please be aware that when we recieve the cylinders from Luxfer NO lubicant is on the threads, any lubricant applied happened at the point of installation of the valve.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Luxfer has only had three warning labels I am aware of, the original black border general warning label, which was changed last year to: one red border for air service, and the green border oxygen clean label. Distributors could chose, when ordering, what warning label was to be applied to the cylinder. I have not seen Luxfer changing position other than to more clearly label their product to address the concerns of the diving industry.

Leadking:
I am at my desk with a cylinder from my first shipment in 2006 (hydro 1/06)
It clearly states on the cylinder "This cylinder was cleaned for oxygen and oxygen-enriched service at the Luxfer factory."

If anyone at Luxfer is saying otherwise I would like a name (please e-mail me).

If anything changes in what I've stated, I will post it!

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the info. My LDS is a SeaPearls dealer, but they don't seem to agree with what you are saying.. I sent you a PM for clarification, if you don't mind..
Thanks for the good info all,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom