Luxfer - are these scuba tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Bought a couple of Fabers and the seller gave me two of these 5.25L tanks (sans valves) as well that they had sitting around for a few years. I haven't been able to identify them beyond the Lux UK stamp so hoping to get help with decoding this and confirming if they are indeed scuba tanks.

IMG_20240114_115738614.jpg

IMG_20240114_115709146.jpg

IMG_20240114_115714857.jpg

IMG_20240114_115719789.jpg

Reactions: OTF
They are 132bar working pressure and 5.25L.... So about 693L or 24cf. With thin walls (due to their low working pressure) and light-ish weight they are going to be buoyant lil sheets - assuming you even try to dive them as a pony bottle or something. Otherwise they are not scuba cylinders

Those are CO2 tanks. As others mentioned, could be used with air but not a good choice. Depending on your local industrial gas supplier you might be able to trade those in for something more usable, like oxygen.

I don't know the Australian gas supplier industry and local scuba tank laws/local practices.

Well if you wanted to use them as back mounted bottles with a chest mount rebreather or something

you could give them a flush then fill them yourself

As per the Australian Local Practices, at my house;

We used to use them as a lesser than stage bottle across the stomach

Now I use one as a portability high pressure blowing device especially

070.JPG

With this

Reactions: Zef

BS 5045-8​

Transportable gas containers-Specification for seamless aluminium alloy gas containers of water capacity 0.5 L up to 15 L and up to 300 bar charged pressure at 15°C for special portable application​

Not sure why you posted this since that specification applies to a whole range of cylinders? In this case, their TEST (TP) pressure is 220bar, which makes their working pressure about 130/132bar. (test = 5/3rds working). They are definitely not 300bar cylinders and will almost for sure rupture at those pressures.

Well open my blind eyes and make them round yeah I missed TP

anyhow one of my EX Co2 bottles is now an emergency O2 aluminium bottle d size about 165 WP
and another tall I think E aluminium bottle EX beer gas is that the same, is now my helium storage

not that I have any helium

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom