LUMIX LX10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this camera in the Nauticam housing with an Inon UWL-H100 wide angle lens, and could share their experience. Even better if someone has used this housing with a Fisheye FiX ADF-M67Pro adapter ring and Inon's UWL-H100 28LD bayonet-mount lens. Does the wet len's glass get close enough to the port to allow for best use of the wet lens?
@morty343
did you ever get to try out the Inon lens?? I'm returning my KRL-01 but I'm going to get to try the AOI before I buy it.

@RDRINK25
Just wondering if you were able to check the make and model # of the wet wide angle lens you were using. I’d like to take a look at it myself since I’m in the market for one and currently trying out different options.

Thanks
Pete

This is a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this camera in the Nauticam housing with an Inon UWL-H100 wide angle lens, and could share their experience. Even better if someone has used this housing with a Fisheye FiX ADF-M67Pro adapter ring and Inon's UWL-H100 28LD bayonet-mount lens. Does the wet len's glass get close enough to the port to allow for best use of the wet lens?

Sorry for the belated response, but I had the UWL-H100 Type 2, and the vignetting was really terrible; I had to zoom all the way in to at least 34 if not more, as I recall. That is why I went to the Kraken, only to find that it, too, (and originally unbeknownst to Backscatter) had exactly the same problem. @Backscatter were awesome about it, and let me return the lens and the housing.

I received the AOI UWL-09 pro from Backscatter to test out on the Ikelite/LX-10 camera combo that I have and so far my out of the water tests look pretty promising. I took several photos at varying distances from a roll of toilet paper (LOL it was there) and it did not have any of the distortions around the right and left sides of the photos at all. I put my Kraken lens back on and BAM there was the distortion on both sides of the photos.
Each lens (Kraken and AOI) required me to zoom out to around the same 34, 35 range to eliminate the vignette in the photos so in that respect it does appear that all of these underwater wide angle lenses show the same weakness (@ReadyDiverOne reported similar issues with INON above) in this area so we can't get 100% of the wide-angle perspective, but it is still a huge increase in the field of view compared to straight out of the port.
I haven't heard back from @RDRINK25 yet to see which lens he's had success with for the wide angle work but so far the AOI lens with the type B 67mm thread adapter is showing some hope. I'll hopefully get in the pool this week to get some underwater shots.

Is the problem with vignetting only when paired with specific housings like the Ikelite for lx10 or also with other brand housings? Is the vignetting/corner distortion visible in the live screen preview on lcd so as to remind the user to zoom in? How much is the actual FOV after zooming in? I am planning to get an lx10 for UW use and hence would like to know.

Thanks
P

Is the problem with vignetting only when paired with specific housings like the Ikelite for lx10 or also with other brand housings? Is the vignetting/corner distortion visible in the live screen preview on lcd so as to remind the user to zoom in? How much is the actual FOV after zooming in? I am planning to get an lx10 for UW use and hence would like to know.

Thanks
P
I've only used the Nauticam housing and haven't had any problems with vignetting. A lot of my footage is taken at the len's widest with no zoom. I attached a picture of my screen with the camera zoomed all the way out.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_7558.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7558.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 204

Thanks
P

Pearlman, vignetting depends on how you plan to use the camera, with the assumption you are asking about using it with a WA wet lens. (I can tell you if you are not using a wet lens in the Nauticam housing it does not vignette through the full zoom range of the camera IIRC.) I use it with a Nauticam housing, and a Fisheye FiX LDF-M67 Pro adapter ring to attach an Inon UWL-H100 28LD wet lens. This setup puts the rear glass of the wet lens fairly close to the port (~1mm I'm guessing) and for stills and 1080p video, I do need to zoom the lens to remove vignetting. I couldn't guess what the FOV is at that point, but of course it's going to be better than with no wet lens. I also have the dome attachment for the lens to get more FOV (with some additional expense of image quality and weight).

However, if you use the camera as Choiahoy does (which my understanding is solely for 4K video), then you don't need to zoom because with 4K the camera uses a crop sensor and the aspect ratio is forced to 16:9, the combination of which removes vignetting with his (and my) housing/wet lens setup.

My review of how suitable this camera is as an UW performer is a separate subject entirely.

ok thanks. Yes I believe its going to be good with the wide wet lens than without - I pretty much made up my mind about using a wide wet lens. As it turns out the lx10 is not available in my country or Bali either, so I am planning my next dive vacation with a Singapore stopover to do the shopping.Will have to wait - I was hoping to buy partial gear now and practice handling it at home before the next trip - will have to wait even for that.

Thanks again.
P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom