LP120 doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LP120's from PST are my primary doubles. Skidge longer and about 6lbs heavier than the Fabers but they're galvanized and about 2lbs more negative which is nice. I dive them because LP104's are too short for me to sit down properly on a boat and they're slightly too negative since I sink like a brick. Proportionally they are about the same size on me as someone who's about 6' is with 104's. I use the Faber LP121's for sidemount for similar reasons those use those for cave diving sidemount because they're less negative.

I second all the comments about using HP tanks instead of LP tanks and at your height I would probably not recommend going with LP120's because they are so long and you might not be able to sit down on the boats properly *opposite reason I have with 104's. I lean back too far and you may not be able to sit all the way down once you put the crotch strap on*.

Depending on your build, manifolded HP 120's just might fit you better than HP 100's. I am 6'2", and PST HP 100's (3,500 psig, 24" length) were too short for me--even though they were otherwise beautiful tanks (for me), and held enough gas for me for the Advanced Deep Air profiles I was diving. PST HP 120's (3,500 psig, 28" length) fit me much better, absolutely: They were more comfortable "sitting", and I could much more easily reach my valves diving.

FWIW,

ETA: By the way, I had my HP 120's hydroed a couple of months ago, anticipating listing them for sale in the SB Classifieds. A friend convinced me to sleep a bit on this decision, though. (He was/is thinking that my new titanium body parts might convince me to again dive them.)

rx7diver

Double 120s are what rebreathers exist to replace.

enormous_tanks.jpg

At 6'3" and 210 lbs, I struggled with double LP120s for several years. After they failed hydro I switched to LP80s.

Depending on your build, manifolded HP 120's just might fit you better than HP 100's. I am 6'2", and PST HP 100's (3,500 psig, 24" length) were too short for me--even though they were otherwise beautiful tanks (for me), and held enough gas for me for the Advanced Deep Air profiles I was diving. PST HP 120's (3,500 psig, 28" length) fit me much better, absolutely: They were more comfortable "sitting", and I could much more easily reach my valves diving.

FWIW,

ETA: By the way, I had my HP 120's hydroed a couple of months ago, anticipating listing them for sale in the SB Classifieds. A friend convinced me to sleep a bit on this decision, though. (He was/is thinking that my new titanium body parts might convince me to again dive them.)

rx7diver

Why would you be able to reach your valves easier in the water? The tanks should be in the same spot in relation to your head regardless of length.
Until you need them for bailout…
fact!

Is anyone in need of Faber/OMS 95 doubles, OMS Manifold ? LMK.

... The tanks should be in the same spot in relation to your head regardless of length. ...

I read this all the time here on SB. However, this simply is not my reality. For my HP 100's (24") to be perfectly, comfortably balanced on my back, they were located too low (i.e., too far down my spine). Consequently, I had to work really hard to reach my valves when diving prone.

For my HP 120's (28") to be perfectly balanced on my back, those additional 4 inches effectively meant my doubles were located ~2" higher in my tank bands. Actually, for me they measured ~1.5" higher in my tank bands (not quite as high as @MaxBottomtime shows in post #15 in this thread, but his LP 120's are longer than my Sherwood Genesis/PST HP 120's, and Max, at 6'3", is taller than I am). This additional 1.5" means I do not have to work nearly as hard to reach my valves when wearing HP 120's as I have to when wearing HP 100's.

My harness remains adjusted the same regardless of whether I am wearing HP 100's or HP 120's.

I wore a first-gen DiveRite Al back plate and (initially) a Sherwood Genesis Double-DIN manifold and first-gen DiveRite bands, and (later) an OMS manifold and bands.

rx7diver

I read this all the time here on SB. However, this simply is not my reality. For my HP 100's (24") to be perfectly, comfortably balanced on my back, they were located too low (i.e., too far down my spine). Consequently, I had to work really hard to reach my valves when diving prone.

For my HP 120's (28") to be perfectly balanced on my back, those additional 4 inches effectively meant my doubles were located ~2" higher in my tank bands. Actually, for me they measured ~1.5" higher in my tank bands (not quite as high as @MaxBottomtime shows in post #15 in this thread, but his LP 120's are longer than my Sherwood Genesis/PST HP 120's, and Max, at 6'3", is taller than I am). This additional 1.5" means I do not have to work nearly as hard to reach my valves when wearing HP 120's as I have to when wearing HP 100's.

My harness remains adjusted the same regardless of whether I am wearing HP 100's or HP 120's.

I wore a first-gen DiveRite Al back plate and (initially) a Sherwood Genesis Double-DIN manifold and first-gen DiveRite bands, and (later) an OMS manifold and bands.

rx7diver
maybe it's a cave diver thing, but I would scratch my head if I ever saw bands as low as the ones shown above or see someone with multiple sets of doubles with the bands in different places. If you're in wicked thick exposure suits I can see shifting the bands down an inch or two because of how thick the undergarments are in a drysuit, but I would be seriously confused if I saw someone with different sizes of doubles with different band positions.

maybe it's a cave diver thing, ....

Yes, when I began reading years ago in DIR posts that the top tank band should be (or "must be") located near the crown/shoulder of the cylinders, I, too, scratched my head. This would never work for me, personally, for HP 100's or HP 120's (or 26" Al 80's).

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom