LP tanks & plus ratings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP:
I haven't had the balls or the burst disk to go that high with mine. I understand in the UK, these same Faber tanks are used at 4500psi on a regular basis.
This is incorrect.

Similar tanks (not identical) are rated for 232 bar, or almost 3500 psi. Not 4500.

Caver95:
so you mean when I fill mine to 4 grand they are hold a lot.
Sometimes, how much is less important than how...reliably. Of course, if I had access to a compressor that could handle that load, I might think differently. :D

pants!:
This is incorrect.

Similar tanks (not identical) are rated for 232 bar, or almost 3500 psi. Not 4500.

My comment about 4500psi came from the response a tech person from Faber sent me. Perhaps, I understood him incorrectly. I don't plan on pumping my tanks up anywhere near that anyway.

If you were refering to my math on the 4000psi in a LP95+ being incorrect. You might want to check again. (baseline .036 x 4000 = 144).

RDP:
My comment about 4500psi came from the response a tech person from Faber sent me. Perhaps, I understood him incorrectly. I don't plan on pumping my tanks up anywhere near that anyway.

If you were refering to my math on the 4000psi in a LP95+ being incorrect. You might want to check again. (baseline .036 x 4000 = 144).
I edited the quote to make it more clear what I was referring to. Your math was fine.

Please post the response from Faber.

roakey:
This was a common problem “in the old days” when your steel 72 would lose its + rating – 72 doesn’t sound that much different than 80, but when you dove with your AL80 buddies with your non-+ rated 72, it was actually about a 65...

Roak

Yeah, that can be a bummer. I didn't want to confuse my original question with the losing or keeping of the + rating at hydro discussion. I saw quite a bit of discussion on that in another thread.

Use a search for "tank overfill" on Scubaboard and read all the comments

Every tank design by every manufacturer must pass a minimum of 10,000 hydro cycles without fail (6-10 times a minute until fail, new cylinder without corrosion or fatigue issues) as required by DOT
Faber makes no tank greater than 7 inches that can take 4000 psi under any regulation anywhere in the world

U.S.tensile strength (105,000-125,000 psi) is not the same as European tensile strength (135,000-155,000 as required by EN 1964 part 1 and ISO 9809 part 1) and I have test data that shows Faber cylinders delivered to us show a tensile strength of 115,000-123,000 psi (as required by DOT)

roakey:
This was a common problem “in the old days” when your steel 72 would lose its + rating – 72 doesn’t sound that much different than 80, but when you dove with your AL80 buddies with your non-+ rated 72, it was actually about a 65...

Roak

Damn. I have the opposite problem. My 72's almost always end up overpressurized. I just checked the tank I got filled a few weeks ago. It was at 3000psi. I am not particularly worried that they will blow, but I am kind of concerned that they don't bother to check the tank's proper pressure. What else might they skimp on, if they ignore routine issues like this? Of course, I have also never been asked for a C card for air fills or gear rental.

Creed:
Damn. I have the opposite problem. My 72's almost always end up overpressurized. I just checked the tank I got filled a few weeks ago. It was at 3000psi.
I'm talking about fills in the "old days" too. When I was thinking about buying my first cylinder, the consensus was "Don't buy one of those new AL80s because no one can pump to 3000 PSI!" My how times change… :)

Roak

I'll second what others have said - an LP95 holds its rated volume at 2640. When you lose the + rating you get less than 95cf.

RDP:
Hell yeah, about 144cu.ft. each! I haven't had the balls or the burst disk to go that high with mine. I understand in the UK, these same Faber tanks are used at 4500psi on a regular basis.

What the hell is a burst disk? :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom