LP hose won't connect to BCD power inflator nipple

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimZepplin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a Zeagle Ranger BCD and a set of Mares Regs that were purchased new in 2004 and have been used together for several hundred dives now.

I had my regs serviced recently and last Sunday I went to do the first dive since getting them back and no matter what I did, I could not get my LP hose to connect to the power inflator nipple on my BCD (I was dry suit diving so I didn't really need it hooked up - we did the dive and shot a couple nice rockfish!). There was a small gap (~1-2 mm) between the connector and base of the nipple that I assume shouldn't've been there. I've never had an issue connecting them over the 13 years since I bought them and there was no problem on the last dive I did before the servicing. The ball bearings in the connector move freely so I don't think it's because they're jammed.

I contacted the shop that did my service and was told they weren't able to connect the hose to anything in their shop (because it doesn't fit a standard LP fitting and all) so they didn't service the quick disconnect/hose because they couldn't hook it up. They told me to get the power inflator hose and BCD power inflator unit back to them and they'd take a crack at it - problem is I live nowhere near the shop.

I know manufactures have different nipple sizes for the power inflator connection (and I've seen this cause problems with rental gear mixed w/personal gear) but mine have worked in concert for more than a decade now and never been an issue.

Can anyone think of what might be causing the problem and how to fix it? I'd like to try fixing it myself so I'm not stuck mailing my stuff to the shop and being outta commission right after getting it all back.

Thanx

Do a bunch of connection tests to see what the issue is. Try the LP hose on the BCD and then Drysuit, try the drysuit hose on the BCD etc. Hopefully its just the hose connection so a $20 hose should fix it.

My hoses had braided hose protectors - not the Miflex hoses but the aftermarket ones that were a fad for a bit - so it's definitely mine. In my initial confusion with the whole situation, I thought maybe they switched the connector (because I was sure it was the right hose) or something but quickly realized that couldn't be the case.

As an aside - I removed the hose protectors on the advice of the shop. They really were useless... good thing I got em for free!

It's strange that they couldn't connect it to anything in their shop. Do you have a regular power inflator or an Octo-Z inflator/octo? Zeagle sells adapters that convert a regular hose into an Octo-Z hose, and vice-versa. Is it possible that you had one of those and they took it off?

Nope it's the standard inflator that comes with the Ranger system and a normal LP hose with nothing added.

I had a similar issue recently (also with Zeagle, but with larger modified Octo-Z connectors) when LP hose didn't stay on the inflator nipple. Ball bearings seemed to work properly. I brought it to the shop, they put it in a bucket with cleaning solution overnight and it fixed the problem.

Maybe check that the Schrader valve (located in the end of the bcd connection side)hasn’t become seized or something blocking it. You should be able to press it in about 1/8 inch and it springs out. I just push it with a small Allen key to confirm it moves. If it doesn’t move, you should be able to remove with a pair of needle nose pliers. Very cheap to replace instead of the whole hose. I always keep a few in my save a dive kit

Last edited:
I had a similar issue recently (also with Zeagle, but with larger modified Octo-Z connectors) when LP hose didn't stay on the inflator nipple. Ball bearings seemed to work properly. I brought it to the shop, they put it in a bucket with cleaning solution overnight and it fixed the problem.

Had the same problem a few months ago with my express tech. I soaked the valve in water for a while and that freed it up. It appeared to be opening the whole way before soaking, but apparently it was not.

I happened to grab my hoses when I was home for lunch and I may've figured the problem out - not exactly a busy day in my office...

I was trying to depress the Schrader valve with a tweezers and it seemed to have some resistance/wasn't depressing very far. I wanted to make sure the piece the plunger recedes into was tight and twisted it a little with the tweezers and it spun somewhat freely. I tightened that piece all the way down with the tweezers and the plunger seems to depress just fine now (smoothly and further).

Unfortunately I didn't bring my BCD back to work with me (I was walking) so I'll have to wait till I get home tonight to see if it works now.

The question now is, should I be concerned that piece had come loose, and somewhat backed itself out, w/in the quick connector?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom