LP Hose Evolution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, it looks like the current standard might have been copied from the 1961 US Divers Calypso???

I wonder in Spiro had a single hose at that point? The page from the 1961 catalog is interesting because it shows a Telegram from Cousteau in November 1960 on the Keller chamber dive to 820'. Could it be that the Calypso was available only in the US? You would think that a regulator designed and built in France would use metric threads.

Does anyone know if the 1960 Healthways ScubaAir used the same hose. If so did US Divers copy it?

Attachments

• US Divers 1961 Calypso.jpg
    US Divers 1961 Calypso.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
At the time, before they started designing and making their own SCUBA gear, Sherwood made most of the parts and regulators sold in the US. They were used because they were the largest manufacturer of high pressure gas valves and equipment. It could be they standardized the hoses in order to make their life easier, and no one else cared about the issue. Sherwood manufactured USD and Nemrod regs here, they might have just wanted standardization on all their regs and at the time the US was the biggest market. Poseidon's were manufactured and marketed in Europe and has metric fittings, when marketed here included a DIN/Yoke converter and metric/SAE adapters for US hoses keeping all of their regs standard.

Just a thought.

Bob
--------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Bob

Sounds plausible. I understood that Scubapro's regulators were made in Italy. Scubapro was “purchased” from Healthways and carried over most products. Was Healthways using these hoses? In any case, it looks like the standard was “set” by then or 1962 when Scubapro opened as an independent company.

Last edited:
I think there is a difference between the hose fittings of that era, but perhaps not the hoses themselves. If you look at the original Calypso above (Akimbo's picture above), you'll see that the fitting going into the first stage is far from the standard, in that it directly ties into the end cap of the Calypso. It wasn't until the second generation that the standard fitting was used for the Calypso.

The same can be said for the Dacor Dart. The original Dacor Dart had a non-standard fitting going into the second stage. I know, as I got really frustrated with this regulator--trying to get it to breathe easily--and cut it off; that was a mistake as the fitting is unique to that regulator. It wasn't until the Dart II that the fitting was more standardized.

The original Healthways ScubAir and Scuba Star regulators were tilt valves, and had a much different hose fitting going into the second stage. These fittings are not interchangeable with the later downstream fittings used in the regulators of the same name. I have several of these regulators too.

I would peg the standardization of the LP hose/fittings as somewhere around 1965. That is when you could start interchanging the LP hoses on different brands of regulators. It was just before the time that the cave divers started using octopus regulators too (I didn't use an octopus until I dove with Larry Murphy/Sonny Cockrell in the Warm Mineral Springs Underwater Archaeological Project in February of 1975). Many divers used different second stages for their octopus regulators, and same even used the tilt valve Healthways Scuba Star as their octopus, even though it had a different second stage fitting, it had a first stage fitting that was universal at that time. I used a MR-12 first stage with a Sportsways second stage during the early 1970s, and never had a problem with interchanging hoses.

Once the longer octopus hose was introduced, standardized fittings were absolutely necessary. This was a problem for some of the overseas manufactures, such as Nemrod (Snark II) and Poseidon Cyclone Super 300 regulator, were equipped with metric fittings. Therefore it was difficult to use foreign (to the USA) manufacturer's regulators as we had to use their specific second stages as octopus regulators. With just about all the USA manufacturers, we could interchange second stages.

I've included several photographs, two of divers using Healthways single hose regulators (Limons Osis with a Healthways ScubAir, me with the speargun and a Healthways Scuba Star, and the fitting on the original Calypso regulator. The other photos of the Dacor Dart don't show the hose fitting (I'll have to take that if you want to see it), but show the fitting is very different than the standard today. The diagrams of the AMF Voit Viking 40, Conqueror and Explorer II show three different fittings in the 1960-62 era (from Fred Roberts, Basic Scuba, Figure 3-37). So there was still experimentation going on then.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Limons Osis prepares for dive 1975.jpg
    Limons Osis prepares for dive 1975.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 59
  • HoodCanal.jpg
    HoodCanal.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 226.jpg
    226.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 209.jpg
    209.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7388.jpg
    IMG_7388.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7383.jpg
    IMG_7383.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Viking 40 Exploded View.jpg
    Viking 40 Exploded View.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I believe that the first Scubapro regulators used hoses that are compatible with today's — at least the ones in their second catalog in 1963 that weren't rebranded Healthways regulators. I also understood that they were made in Italy. Surely they copied and existing design since it has US threads???

Aside from the tube extension on the early US Divers Calypso, are the fitting compatible at both ends with today's hoses?

…Aside from the tube extension on the early US Divers Calypso, are the fitting compatible at both ends with today's hoses?

Answering my own question here: As everyone has said, the original US Diver’s Calypso did use the same fitting into the second stage as today. The LP hose connection to the first stage is unique… I just got my hands on one.

As near as I can tell, the tube extension between the hose and swivel nut at the second stage end was only on the model in the 1961 catalog. 1962-64 used the same hose fitting we use today.

However, it “looks” like the less expensive Aqua-Div in the 1961 US Divers catalog “might” use the standard 3/8" straight thread boss on the first stage end of the hose as today’s standard.

I still wonder if this US-centric standard was/is used in Europe. Interesting.

Akimbo,

I tried to answer your question, but my computer crashed that day before I could post it and I never got back. 'Glad you got your answer. Be user to take at least one dive on this unique regulator. If the mushroom non-return valve in the diaphragm on yours is bad, the silicone mushroom on some snorkels works (Scubapro mini-Shotgun).

I don't know for sure about whether the U.S. standard was used in Europe, but I think not.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom