LP Compressor Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you do. It's a PITA to try to read poorly spelled words formed into nonsensical sentences using crappy grammer. Common courtesy for those you are trying to communicate with dictates that you use proper English. I've read messages from you that were so articulately written that I thought someone else was sending them, so I know you can do it.

Thanks... I dont recall any good writing on this forum?

Thanks... I dont recall any good writing on this forum?
Yeah, well, you apparently are inspired to put your education to use only ocassionally. :D

You PM'd me once and I was CERTAIN your partner had written it, it was so different from most of what you post up here. No offense. :wink:

Last edited:
ok well getting back to using a compressor or whatever to haul off of.
Im guessing that you are thinking of rocking a hookah setup?
Eitherway you cant just get any ol compressor and start sucking off that bitch, your gonna have several concerns.
1 is that its putting out enough psi to force the air down to your depth, but if your stickin above 100' then you should be alright with most set ups.
the diffrence between an air compressor and a breathing air compressor is gonna be the filtration.
Your gonna want a set up with a 3 stage filtration system and that gets spendy, thats what we rock in commdiving.
What you wanna get out is all the junk that your intake hose is pulling in from the atmosphere, so any cars driving by any boats and smoke stacks around anything that can put chemicals in the air. You know when your diving and you get skunky air ?? It just tastes funny and gives you a brutal headache ? Thats usually becuase one of the filters needs changing or bleeding out...
Also you wanna make sure you avoid any oil particles from the compressor getting into your air, if you suck that up it will plain outright eventually kill you :) Fun times!
So realisticly too rock SS kind of set up your gonna want something with a molecular sive and a couple moisture extracting filters they are long cylinder looking things that cause the air to spin inside like a tornado and it wicks the moisture out of it then every so often you crack a valve on the bottom and bleed out some nice milky looking juice tha your not breathing in yay!!!!!
But if you dont have those and do decide to rock a compresser and garden hose then it will work too, but dont say I didnt warn you about the health risks.

ok after lookin through this forum more through and seeing the piss fest that has started im throwing in my 2cents.
I have seen companies and worked for companies before like sterling. I personally have never herd of or worked for Sterling but, The kind of stuff they are doing is legit. Companies like this deal with light salvage and maintence work, but where you can really flourish is in inspection and video.
So all the guys bashing his company and what he does lay off becuase I have done this kind of work as well on scuba when I needed to pay the bills and Comm diving is my livelyhood I dont have a regular job.
Now if your bashing him becuase of how he comes across then carry on, cuase sterling bro I gotta say you gotta clairify yourself a bit better and also just a fyi, if your ever sitting at a table with **** kicking offshore guys or fulltime hard hat divers talking about comm jobs just keep looking at your drink cause alot of the hardcore comm boys dont agree with comm work done on scuba! Now I have a couple reccomendations for you that you might wanna consider!
1. Go out and make sure everyone including yourself has either (a.) a ADC Air diver cert, or a commercial scuba cert, and if you wanna know of a great school to get the commercial scuba cert just PM me same goes for anyone else who is intrested in that kinda cert (basiclly lets you legally do the kinda work Sterling is doing and other things such as aquaculture)

2. Do not get into hardhat ****, The kind of comm diving you are doing is quick easy and affordable, you gotta be an ex hard hat diver I think to start a hardhat company in my mind to do that work. You dont need Superlites to put on a recreational boat prop. Stick to what your doing and I would just reccomend that you get into uni and learn some **** on non destructive testing, ultrasonics and all that jazz and you could have a nice little business on your hands there doing light comm work.

3. Now for all the guys bashing him for saying silly boy you cant run a rack with an operator on scuba, now is the time for you guys to put your chins to your chest and feel silly becuase indeed you can. Instead of rocking Hardhats Sterling, I would look into buying a couple of AGA masks they have less pressure requirements then the EXO someone mentioned earlier. I belive that the AGA uses 70 psi to the EXO's 90 and they are just a lovely little mask with better visability then anything else out there and lighter out of the water, they can be ran SSA or off a scuba tank and yes indeed you CAN RUN DIVER TO DIVER OR DIVER TO SURFACE COMMUNICATION!! Both Hardwire and via radio. So look into getting those, like I said your looking at 900 dollars per mask as opposed to the 4-7000 for the superlites and **** like that.

4. I had some more crap but I cant remeber,

Now good luck just remeber that although you are doing "commercial diving work" your gonna have a hard time getting accepted by most comm divers, they are the big dick swinging puffing out chest kinda guys but they make up the majority of the diving feild. So like the other guys are pretty much saying. STAY HUMBLE! And dive safe :)

What you wanna get out is all the junk that your intake hose is pulling in from the atmosphere, so any cars driving by any boats and smoke stacks around anything that can put chemicals in the air.
You mean the same air that you'd be breathing if you were standing on the dock topsides? I guess we should be triple-filtering every breath we take then.
rolleyes.gif

But if you... do decide to rock a compresser and garden hose then it will work too, but dont say I didnt warn you about the health risks.
Nobody is advocating using a "garden hose". The hookah that I use, have shown on this site and have recommended to sterling is based on the exact same compressor that many commercially available hookahs use. Same simple filtering system. It is absolutely safe to use. The hose I chose to upgrade, but not for saftey reasons. Granted, sterling may eventually require more in the way of an SSA rig than those of us who are strictly hull cleaners need, but to infer that there are inherent health risks involved in using such a hookah, or that those of us who are using them are cutting corners, smacks of commercial diver arrogance, IMHO.

thats just standerd knowladge to anyone who has ever filled tanks, especially for other ppl, you wanna find the freshest air possible especially when it gets compressed under pressure. And same with when your rocking compressers I mean only an idiot is gonna set up his intake right beside or down wind from the exaughst. I mean this is all just standard knowladge, divers didnt come up with the term "Skunky Air" becuase someone decided to fart in their tanks

You mean the same air that you'd be breathing if you were standing on the dock topsides? I guess we should be triple-filtering every breath we take then.
rolleyes.gif

Nobody is advocating using a "garden hose". The hookah that I use, have shown on this site and have recommended to sterling is based on the exact same compressor that many commercially available hookahs use. Same simple filtering system. It is absolutely safe to use. The hose I chose to upgrade, but not for saftey reasons. Granted, sterling may eventually require more in the way of an SSA rig than those of us who are strictly hull cleaners need, but to infer that there are inherent health risks involved in using such a hookah, or that those of us who are using them are cutting corners, smacks of commercial diver arrogance, IMHO.

As they should'nt and you know why they dont fastbotoms ??? becuase they are laying dead at the bottom of the sea so its hard to advocate for it then!
Now I didnt say that there is anything wrong with Hookahs, I have rocked them a few times, and they are quite fun cause you have the freedom of scuba but the safety of SSA, I dont see a whole lot of purpose for them unless your gonna be in the same place or not moving around very much for an extended period of time, then they are great, I know tons of Seafood Harvesters who rock the Hookah, same with ppl in the maintence feild. Im just saying that if your gonna sport a hookah then be smart wth your choice of compressor and how you set it up, frankly the way I see it is that anyone who wants to sit around and give me guff about filtering your breathing air and especially putting fail safes in place about breathing in oil vapours can lick me where I ****.
I think anyone who has worked with a few diffrent compressors both filling bottles and as a direct breathing source can agree with me on this one

Im guessing that you are thinking of rocking a hookah setup?
thats what we rock in commdiving.
So realisticly too rock SS kind of set up
But if you...do decide to rock a compresser
Instead of rocking Hardhats
I have rocked them a few times
I know tons of Seafood Harvesters who rock the Hookah
What- another 17 year old "commercial diver"?
rolleyes.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom