LP Compressor Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well not to keep arguing but that is what he is. And we have half the surface gear and are in the process of buying the wrest, hence why I posted this thread. We have been renting the compressor we need it so far
I'm confused. This the very first mention you have made of any of your friends being anything but recreational divers. If one of your group is a Sat Supervisor with 20 years commercial experience, why are you here asking extremely basic questions about compressors and umbilicals etc.? Seems like a diver with the experience you say this guy has should know that kind of stuff.

c5b989

I have a special deal with the board because I work on a tug that is user the size limit for needing a license. And all my time is signed off by other captains and engineers and mates

Well considering how blatantly you're misrepresenting yourself, I would hope the board will reconsider your "special deal" and stop enabling the falsehoods.

I have a special deal with the board because I work on a tug that is user the size limit for needing a license. And all my time is signed off by other captains and engineers and mates

what board?

Where does a tug boat not need a licensed captain to operate commercially?
You're still not answering the question on you being a Captain?

how does this make you a Captain?

Federal Law requires you to be 18 years old (or older for advanced licneses) to get your USCG Captains license as designated by Code of Federal Regulations, Title 46CFR10.201

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=46&PART=10&SECTION=201&YEAR=2002&TYPE=TEXT

also reference Charter Boat Captain Information - USCG National Maritime Center

I'm confused. This the very first mention you have made of any of your friends being anything but recreational divers. If one of your group is a Sat Supervisor with 20 years commercial experience, why are you here asking extremely basic questions about compressors and umbilicals etc.? Seems like a diver with the experience you say this guy has should know that kind of stuff.

He is new of last week. And I prefer to learn from more than one person

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off topic comments have been removed for further review. You're now returned to your regularly scheduled compressor discussion. Please play nice!

Last edited:
Well then, let's swing back to compressors:wink:... the Thomas 1020 is a great little unit, so much so that everyone is backordered at the moment.(Toolbarn won't have any until 7/31-) What other compressors are us hullscrubbers using?

Sterling please becarefull with the advice you are getting (No body get offended) If you are going to use a hard hat you need a min of 90psi over bottom pressure for a hard hat or the EXO mask to work properly. Kirby morgan recommends 120 psi over bottom pressure. The only reason you can go as low as 90psi is the regulators on kirby morgan is they are ajustable while you are diving. the AGA, OTS and other full face masks are not. The other thing is you need to take in account your work rate doing light work and i mean real light work require at least 2 cfm plus the cfm required at depth. Use this formula to calculate compressor requirements.

Pressure needed 120 for demand reg 100psi for free flow(Desco pot hat or MK5) + bottom pressure

CFM Requiments: ((MAX DEPTH + 33) / 33)) X (Consumption Rate) X (Number of Divers)
Look at the navy dive manual it has average consumption rate for different working conditions IE: Light, Moderate, Heavy

You need to make these calculations before you buy a compressor or you can kill your self if you buy junk. Also make sure you get a compressor with a volume tank or have a separate one. This is so there is reserve air to use between compressor cycles and for short term emergency use. The home depot special will kill you it is not designed for diving spend some money it is you life that depends on the equipment.

If you have any other questions about surface supplied equipment please email me and I will get back to you

On a related note, if you need someone to proofread your web pages before they are posted (and you do) for grammar and spelling errors, please let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom