LP Compressor Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I suppose it is possible that a pneumatic tool compressor using non-hydrocarbon oil could be made to provide breathable air, I can say without hesitation that in 15 years of hull cleaning, I have NEVER seen anybody using such a rig. I absolutely would never consider it personally. Certainly if one were to go that route, very careful filtering of the air stream (and scrupulous maintenance of the filter system) would be absolutely neccessary. I can think of no advantage to using such a system as opposed to a hookah based on a small oilless compressor. But I certainly can think of some disadvantages, cost being a major one. For a hull cleaner, a small footprint, portablity and light weight are critical factors when putting together a hookah rig. This makes every compressor designed for full-on commercial diving that I've ever seen unsuitable for this kind of work.

Fstbttms: I now know I won't buy a non diving compressor!

This is for bigger jobs than hull cleaning also. I keep getting calls for work but it's all surface supplie work so I'm trying to price it out and wait till I get a big enough job to pay for it (in the works with puget sound energy). Now with all your help I know to buy a dive comp:)

I sent you a direct message! Did you get it?

A diesel unit weighing 3800 pounds is a little more than most hull cleaners need or could possibly transport.

sterlingMarineService did not specify the type of work he is planning so I did not go the cheap-tire-filler route with my sugestion. What work for you at 10' to 15' of depth is not necessarily apropreate for a job with a utility company where industrial diving quidelines and Federal law is more likely to appear.

I think Amron International sells some light weight, wheel mounted compressors as well that you can run a diving helmet or two divers off of.

Understood. But sterlingMarineServices are essentially 2 or 3 recreational divers who started a dive service last year. They are doing light commercial work like hull cleaning, anode replacement and object recovery, all from the dock. They are not hard-hat divers and (if the pix on their web site are any indication) use recreational scuba gear exclusively. Any relatively small oilless compressor is going to be plenty for what they have in mind, if I judge their company correctly.

Thanks fstbttms: that's no completely true. We are starting towards hard hatdiving as I metione earlier somewhere I just need the one job from pse to pay for my surface supplied.

But unroll we are are members of ADC we will continue using scuba and cleaning hulls and salvage and stuff

Just my 2 cents. Sterling you can by a cheap compressor from Divers Supply in LA. They have the dive boss compress It is about 4000. It has a volume tank and fillers installed and use the Devair compressor. One tip when buying a SSA compressor you need to take in account you work rate(CFM reqirements), depth and pressure reqirements for proper operation of your regulator. You need a compressor that can hand all of this. Also please If you are going to be doing heavy commercial work Recreational Hooka compressor wont cut it. If you watch that show called swamp logger one of the guys on the show almost gets killed using a cheap hookha compressor when he gets exaust in his breathing air. Also be careful with the umplical construction. The air hoses the hookha systems are not for commercial use they kink easy and are not cut and chemical reistant.

I use most of the time an air control manifold with regulators hooked in to high pressure cylenders. My set up also I can hook in to standard scuba bottle. It is two valved whips so cylenders can be changed out by the surface support.

Sorry, I need to make a correction. It would be a Quincy compressor that I reccomend. Lister is the engine manufacturer for the diesel motor that runs the larger units.

Amron Int sells this unit at about $8,000.00 U.S

AC325YASSY-1-42-display.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom