LP 95 too heavy if wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goldminer once bubbled...
Uh, actually the difference in buoyancy is about 5 lbs when empty. I think you mean difference in empty weight at surface.
Regardless of what you may find in print... PST's website says their LP 95 is only 1 pound negative! Don't know how they're figuring that - maybe in the Great Salt Lake. Mine is 11 pounds negative at 500psi with "H" valve in fresh water. If the tank itself were only 1 pound negative, then at 500psi my "H" valve would have to weigh over 8 pounds - it weighs 2 pounds 4 oz. My method of comparison - and why I won't back off on my numbers no matter what the "book" says - is to hang the 80 in the water on one side of a balance suspended under the diving board, and the 95 on the other, both with 500 psi in 'em. To balance them the 80 has to have 12 pounds attached. I was shocked the first time I did it, because the printed data I'd seen was the same stuff you're seeing. So shocked, in fact, that I switched sides of the balance with the load, just to make sure something wasn't biased there, and got the same result.
PST's new 95's are also less buoyant than the older ones - cavers I know suspect there's more steel in 'em because PST realized how they were being used in cave country. Older tables have the PST 95 weighing in at a bit over 37 pounds; PST says 42 for the new ones. My 95's weigh a hair over 43¼ each empty without valve - maybe I got a little extra zinc.
Bottom line - when I switch from an 80 to a PST 95, I drop 12 pounds, and my buoyancy remains the same.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Regardless of what you may find in print... PST's website says their LP 95 is only 1 pound negative!

I found -3.3 somewhere else... but:

hang the 80 in the water on one side of a balance suspended under the diving board, and the 95 on the other, both with 500 psi in 'em. To balance them the 80 has to have 12 pounds attached.

That's as official an answer as I've ever seen!

Speaking of more steel, I heard a rumor that PST is going re-rate their tanks to 3500psi. Everyone is filling them to 3500 anyway (not that I would do such a thing :rolleyes: ). I was wondering if any of you dealers, or others in the loop, heard anything about that.

Mike

Lost Yooper once bubbled...
Speaking of more steel, I heard a rumor that PST is going re-rate their tanks to 3500psi. Everyone is filling them to 3500 anyway (not that I would do such a thing :rolleyes: ). I was wondering if any of you dealers, or others in the loop, heard anything about that.

Mike
I have heard that. Don't have the slightest idea whether there's any truth to it.
Rick

Lost Yooper once bubbled...

Mike

kid at the shop sunday filled my LP's to 3000:eek:

We haven't heard anything but I've been meaning to check into it. My wife (I mean store manager is going to call them this afternoon and I'll let everyone know.

raxafarian once bubbled...

kid at the shop sunday filled my LP's to 3000:eek:

Did you complain about the short fill?

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Bottom line - when I switch from an 80 to a PST 95, I drop 12 pounds, and my buoyancy remains the same.
Rick

It sounds like a compelling argument. All I know is when I switched to LP 95's this summer I dropped 6 lbs and my seat of the pants impression is that my buoyancy stayed the same, which is consistent with their tank buoancy claims.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom