LP 95 or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am getting conflicting information. I went diving with a DM who recommended that I get an LP95. Just the other day, I asked the guy at my LDS if he had any LP95's to rent, and he said no. I explained that I really would like to dive one to see if it's a tank I'd want to purchase. He proceeded to tell me that LP95's don't fit anyone, and he would not recommend that tank to anyone. Too big for almost everyone. Too big for him -- so he claims -- and he's bigger and taller than me. I'd like a larger volume, low pressure tank for my own. The majority of my diving is from boats right now.

I'm not sure I get it. I mean, okay, it's diameter is bigger, but not by much. And, length without the valve is shorter than an Al80 that everyone seems to rent out. Am I missing something?

There is no one cylinder that is right for everyone or every condition. I think you should think about the kind of diving your doing and your gear setup b4 buying cylinders. If you list some of those details, you will get some feedback of pros/cons of different cylinders for your diving. There is always tradeoffs in gear, and some you may not have thought about or knew existed.

Read between the lines. Your LDS just told you he does not have an established supplier of LP 95 and he wants you to buy a tank that he stocks.

If 95 cu ft of gas is what you want, an LP 95 should fit the bill.

If you're boat diving, can't you just rent tanks from the charter and let them lug them to/from the boat? If they use AL80 and you don't have to surface early, why bother with a larger tank (unless you think you can get two dives on the one tank.)

Here's some tank specs you may want to consider, based on volume and buoyancy characteristics.

Capture.jpg

I dive lp95's regularly when I am not diving lp120's regularly. So What I have noticed is that for me (250# 6') the placement of the tank is very much in control of trim. This is due to the shortness of the tank. Put a mark on the tank where you strap belongs. Its not a light tank <10# heavier than a al80 +/-. Most shops monkeys fill it like a al80 so you get about 108 out of it. Its short enough to have 2 lay cross ways behind the drivers seat. Its a wonderful tank and I would not trade it for another. Good fills are not hard to get as they are lp tanks and for me,,,, I own the compressor
I BTW also have lp85's for doubles or as singles for the wife.,,,,, lp120's so I take one tank out instead of having to take 2, when not diving with the wife and her lp85's. Draw backs. Its an 8" tank for those that are concerned about streamlining and drag. Its a steel tank being used in fresh water. normally a no-no. I use a 3mm shorty and a steel BPW and need no weight added on. A 30# wing is more than enough. I use 30 and 40# wings because of the times I wear the lavacore and not the wet suit. If you are using a full suit then the lp95 may be too top heavy for you considering the extra suit lift on your legs.

In your position if you were ready to aquire tanks I would look for lp85's if you cant get lp95's taller tank, same weight as al80 and same amount of gas without the +10%. costs more than an al80 and will last forever. there is always a buyer for an lp85's for doubles.

Oh yes, what they said.

Two things...the DM that recommended LP95s may love them, and you may not once you dive them. So good on you for wanting to try them out before buying.

Second, the dive shop dude is either dumb, or a weasel. I'm not a fan of either of those things.

My suggestion to you is to find a group of divers to dive with that have different size tanks...steel, aluminum, high pressure, low pressure, 85's, 95's, 100's, 104's, 120's, 133's etc. Ask if you could try their different tanks just to see how they feel both on dry land and in the water. How do they trim you out? Are they too tall for you to sit down comfortably? Are they going to cause a herniated disk when you walk to the water or to the side of the boat?

There is no rush to buy the wrong stuff...take your time in choosing your gear, buy once cry once.

They are great tanks.
I consider them a smaller tank, and they would be comparable with a high pressure 100 obviously,
unless you fill them up to 3500psi or so.
but that would then be a H/P 130/133.

Chug
Usually diving with a LP120.
But not at low pressure.

Chug
Usually diving with a LP120.
But not at low pressure.

My favorite set of big doubles are 121's...pumped to 4k.

In all fairness though, if I don't need a metric ton on gas, I go with Al80's or Lp85's. I almost never dive singles anymore, and when I do I use hp80's.

I have three lp 95's and the dive shop whined about using those tanks because its not what they like. I like them because the buoyancy is similar to all of my other steel tanks and they carry more gas.

I dive lp95's regularly when I am not diving lp120's regularly. So What I have noticed is that for me (250# 6') the placement of the tank is very much in control of trim. This is due to the shortness of the tank. Put a mark on the tank where you strap belongs. Its not a light tank <10# heavier than a al80 +/-. Most shops monkeys fill it like a al80 so you get about 108 out of it. Its short enough to have 2 lay cross ways behind the drivers seat. Its a wonderful tank and I would not trade it for another. Good fills are not hard to get as they are lp tanks and for me,,,, I own the compressor
I BTW also have lp85's for doubles or as singles for the wife.,,,,, lp120's so I take one tank out instead of having to take 2, when not diving with the wife and her lp85's. Draw backs. Its an 8" tank for those that are concerned about streamlining and drag. Its a steel tank being used in fresh water. normally a no-no. I use a 3mm shorty and a steel BPW and need no weight added on. A 30# wing is more than enough. I use 30 and 40# wings because of the times I wear the lavacore and not the wet suit. If you are using a full suit then the lp95 may be too top heavy for you considering the extra suit lift on your legs.

In your position if you were ready to aquire tanks I would look for lp85's if you cant get lp95's taller tank, same weight as al80 and same amount of gas without the +10%. costs more than an al80 and will last forever. there is always a buyer for an lp85's for doubles.

Oh yes, what they said.

I'm in Ventura, CA, and I'm going off of boats mostly out at the Channel Islands. So, I'm diving in a 7 mil with a 5/3 hooded vest. I'm only OW certified, so I'm only diving single tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom