LP 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the black color is a vinyl coating that can be stripped. should be hot dip galvanized underneath. can do a coat of a cold galv like zrc on top if desired.
Also, the PST tank is more of a paint coat, unlike the vinyl feel of the older tank.

Do you have any pictures of your tanks? I am not the biggest fan of all black tanks and from what I have researched, they originally came in a grey/silver color. I could be wrong on this.

I can shoot a couple of pictures in the morning after work. My tanks are yellow. I havent started messing with them yet (just finished the LP85's that I got in the same deal) so am unsure if yellow is the original color.

DW

Hello, today I purchased two LP 72 tanks for a grand total of $70.00. They both have current hydro with a plus rating, but the visual is out of date. I will attach pictures of the original stamps, and you will see that they are not of the same year or lot.View attachment 577734 View attachment 577735

My goal is to double these tanks. The height from base to neck appears to identical, but I am worried about the diameter between the two. I do not have a tailors tape measure on hand and it is difficult to tell by eyeballing them. I have found a few old threads on these tanks, but I figured I would post in the Vintage Equipment community for the first time. I have plenty of time on my hands due to the virus lock down.

If they can be doubled up, I will be looking for bands, valves, and an isolation manifold. Any pointers would be helpful.

Nice score!
I have a double band harness and a double tank valve with a J valve, if you're interested in a vintage double setup.

Nice score!
I have a double band harness and a double tank valve with a J valve, if you're interested in a vintage double setup.

If the OP is not interested, I may be. Have been thinking about setting one of my sets up with a double hose. First dibs to the OP, though.

DW

A slight difference in diameter would not have matter, but I am sure the OP would prefer close symmetry.

The cylinders are from different manufacturers PST and Norris. They both look to be galvanized under the black coatings, but both of those manufacturers used very different coating system.

I actually got a very similar pair of cylinders (in a double set AtPac) that was given to me. The set were paired up as doubles.

The coatings are very different. I have to cut a little rectangle of the paint (or vinyl) every time it needs a new hydro stamp. The vinyl one is so thick that the stamp would just bounce off. Cutting the little rectangle is a pain in both of them, but the process is very different from one to the other.

I would not bother removing the black outer coating. It probably more work that it is worth. The black coating doesn’t hurt anything and removing it will be different for the two.

Nice score!
Thanks for the offer, but I would like to keep compatibility between my doubles to first stages.

A slight difference in diameter would not have matter, but I am sure the OP would prefer close symmetry.

The cylinders are from different manufacturers PST and Norris. They both look to be galvanized under the black coatings, but both of those manufacturers used very different coating system.

I actually got a very similar pair of cylinders (in a double set AtPac) that was given to me. The set were paired up as doubles.

The coatings are very different. I have to cut a little rectangle of the paint (or vinyl) every time it needs a new hydro stamp. The vinyl one is so thick that the stamp would just bounce off. Cutting the little rectangle is a pain in both of them, but the process is very different from one to the other.

I would not bother removing the black outer coating. It probably more work that it is worth. The black coating doesn’t hurt anything and removing it will be different for the two.
Thank you.

If the OP is not interested, I may be. Have been thinking about setting one of my sets up with a double hose. First dibs to the OP, though.

DW

I'll pm some pictures to you.

A

Luis,
Have you ever tried Aircraft Paint Remover? I've used it on the typical baked enamel (or whatever it is) on newer aluminum tanks. Not sure if it would put a dent in that vinyl coating you're describing though.

boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom