Low top boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have experience with the hard soled low top warm water boots that you would be willing to share? I have been thinking about getting a pair for Caribbean diving instead of using my high top 5mm zippered boots that I have been using? Specifically I am wondering if they are easier or more difficult to don/doff than high tops? I have wide feet with a high instep so am concerned with trying to pull them on with no high top to grab on to as I am sliding my foot into the boot. Thanks in advance for any personal experiences.

I've got a pair of 3-mil Tusa low-top boots that are pretty good. They're stretchy enough to be easy to get on and fairly easy to get off when wet. The only thing I don't like is that they don't have a grommet or hole of any kind to let water out or air in, so you slosh around in water while wearing them after a dive. They double as boat shoes too, you you really only need one set of footwear on a boat.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was in fact looking at the Bare model cited by fisheater, but was concerned that they might be difficult to get on if the neoprene was not pretty stretchy. With the 5mm high tops with side zippers that I am currently using, I have to pull on them pretty hard to get my foot in the boot even with lycra socks, but once in, is very comfortable. However once on, I have to really stretch the bottom part of my wet suit leg to fit over the boot, and the boot reduces the efficiency of the glide seal on my Bare wetsuit. Likewise, I can't tuck them inside of the boot (not that I would want to) because then I would not be able to zip up the boot.

I wear a pair of these under my 5mm zippered boots. I put them on before I put on my wet suit. They help keep my feet from getting chewed up while wet all day and also make it easy to just slip my foot through my wetsuit and my boots slip on and off very easily. I have the high tops because I want to keep my ankles covered, never know when those stingy things might show up. If I had low tops, they would keep my ankles covered.

Buy XS Scuba Lycra Socks from Leisure Pro

Plus one on the Seasoft Sunrays. Both my husband and I use those, me just for beach diving, he always, and we love them!

I'd expect pretty much low tropical booty to be easier to put on than 5mm high tops. Be careful of getting them too low, however - might make them too easy to pull off when you're taking your fins off. Had a pair like that, it was a nuisance and just got worse over time. Also nice to not leave ankle exposed to stingy things.

I will add another endorsement for the Seasoft Sunrays. I also have wide feet with a high instep. These are one of the few boots that fit my feet comfortably. I love the hard sole, I think there is less stress on my feet than soft soled boots.

Back
Top Bottom