Low pressure hose incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had a low pressure hose incident last week...took me 3 dives to discover it.

About 5 minutes into a dive, unfortunately with others around, I felt a very loud boom, it literally sounded like someone crashed tank to tank with me. I turned around very aggravated, but nobody was nearby. I couldn't figure out what happened.

I started hearing some bubbles stream out, and I just figured my tank to 1st stage seal wasn't that great and something with that popped. Dive went on as planned.

The next two dives I heard the bubbles, this time I realized the sound was different than a normal leaking tank to 1st stage leak. Before each dive I put my ear up to the first stage and heard the slight hissing...wasn't a big deal, didnt cut my dives short...but it was starting to become annoying.

So finally I decided to figure out exactly what the heck was going on. I turned the tank on, heard the hissing, moved the low pressure hose to my backup reg to the side as it is on a swivel from the first stage and the noise changed...hmmmm..took a closer look and found a tear in my hose...very closer to the crimp. Was soo close that it just sounded like a bad tank to 1st stage connection. Obviously it was small otherwise it would have been found much sooner. :D

I guess this can be classified as a mini-boom incident, although at the time it wasn't mini. I felt the vibration throughout my body, heard the boom, and the sound of someone crashing tank to tank with me..hard...that is the best way to describe it.

I'll never forget that sound/feeling.

If this helps just one person in the future please paypal me $20.00 for the knowledge I have bestowed upon you.

Thanks,

You are one lucky guy. A low pressure hose rupture can empty a tank in a few moments, as you no doubt know....

I've purchased H valves for my single tanks. Redundany is a good thing.

(Sorry, the $20 goes toward the H valves).

Best,
Barbara/San Francisco

The next two dives I heard the bubbles, this time I realized the sound was different than a normal leaking tank to 1st stage leak. Before each dive I put my ear up to the first stage and heard the slight hissing...wasn't a big deal, didnt cut my dives short...but it was starting to become annoying.
jepuskar, if the o-ring goes when you have your ear to the valve you are going to need the $20 for a hearing test if not a hearing aid. :no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom