Low level flying after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same problem flying from Catalina, but can't do it at 1000ft......too much risk if that engine stops.

PS. Scuba instructor and helicopter pilot...you are living a hell of a life, nice.

ShakaZulu

so what have u resorted to doing to fly back to the mainland from Catalina?

do u fly fixed or rotary.
in a helo 1000 ' is an acceptable altitude to auto rotate in case of engine failure well out of the HV diagram. only problem is it would be a little beyond gliding distance.:D

hi ive posted this question on the diving medicine thread but seems to be little info out there regarding low level flying after diving.
as a helicopter pilot i would like to start combining my diving with flying in that i would like to be able to do a couple of no deco dives followed by about a two hour SI and then be able to fly back at lower altitudes 1000 to 1200 feet.

would it be safe to do this ?
as the pilot i cannot afford to possibly take a DCS hit .
are there any studies or experiments published?
having trouble finding anything on the subject.

Sharkbait

First, use the correct terms. 1-1.2M' is HIGH level (altitude) and .5M' is medium. Lower altitudes consist of those heights AGL in which you pick the tulies out of your leading edges/main rotors during post-flight.

Last edited:
First, use the correct terms. 1-1.2M' is HIGH level (altitude) and .5M' is medium. Lower altitudes consist of those heights AGL in which you pick the tulies out of your leading edges/main rotors during post-flight.

food for thought by the sounds of it perhaps the reason you scared yourself silly and no longer fly is because u were scudrunning.
unfortunatly here in Canada we have something called CAR's (Canadian Air Regulations) which prohibit us from flying below 1000 feet above the the highest obstruction over built up areas. that would be AGL.

and yes it did occur to me that i could suck on 02 from a small deco tank but why would i if i dont need to. i'm not legally required to have or use 02 under 10,000 feet duhh!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom