Lover's 3 yesterday, object ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My buddy Paul and I did Lover's 3 yesterday, and came across a chain in about 37' of water, we didn't follow it up because we didn't want to end our dive, but after we got out we couldn't figure out what it was attached to.
We did see some sort of cylindrical bouy with an antenna looking thing on top, but it didn't feel like we swam out that far.
Any idea on what that is? It was in the middle of a very sandy area.
No pictures, I'm still working on trim, but it's getting a lot better. I think I'm ready to start carrying a right-handed light.

It was probably the buoy that is just off the point to the northeast (about 030°M). I've seen it before and it is beyond the kelp, confirming your sandy bottom report. It is not that far of a swim and 37 feet sounds about right being that far out. Most likely it is a research buoy belonging to a private organization (Hopkins, MBA). Wasn't able to find anything in the Notice to Mariners to confirm it though.

Is it the yellow one with the antenna? We must really make some ground when we're diving, it didn't feel like we ventured that far, however, I do recall taking a 30 degree heading and following that out.

You got me thinking - yellow buoys are indicative of danger areas or protected areas (no wake, etc). I thought it might be delineating the Lovers State Marine Reserve but the aforementioned buoy isn't it. I'll swing by Lovers Point to visually verify the buoy today.

I have been interested in all the buoys located around Monterey so this gives me an excuse to figure 'em out.

Just to put us both on the same page, this is the approximate location in question? The kelp in the picture isn't there today (pic was taken in 07).

Attachments

• Lovers.jpg
    Lovers.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 42
Looks to be in about the right location. We should have followed the chain up! It appeared to have been there a long time, there was considerable growth on it. Now I may never know...buddy thought we may find a body attached to it so didn't want to look too hard.

only thing to do is go back and find out!

Here's some info on that buoy:
NDBC - Station 46240

While it is possible that the buoy drifted a half a mile to the west after this last week's storm, I doubt the buoy in question near Lovers Point is the Cabrillo Point NOAA buoy. But who knows?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom