Lover's 3 yesterday, object ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I it was smaller than that, and shaped like a cannister.
About 5-6" in diameter and maybe a foot tall out of the water, excluding the antenna.

Oh, and I can't say for sure the chain had anything to do with the yellow buoy, we didn't follow it up and I was paying more attention to the heading we took to get back to the beach.
The chain could've been there for many years but the only thing floating above the water was that yellow buoy. Maybe the chain was attached to something that wasn't readily viewable from the surface?
Looks like another trip out to Lover's is in order to search out that chain and follow it up.

Went down to Lovers this evening and got a good look at things (its nice to be so close). Cabrillo Point buoy was seen to the southeast off of Hopkins (yellow spherical buoy) and right by Lovers was the yellow can with antenna.

That was the only object in the water that I saw so it sounds like you probably came across this buoy. It would be odd to have something that is tethered to the bottom and not visible on the surface - possible hazard to navigation if that were the case.

Conditions looked great although it kinda appeared green. If I had a buddy, I would of jumped in then.

I remember seeing a small ball float anchored to a chain and block in about 30-35 FSW out in the sand near Lovers 1/2 It was about 10 feet short of the surface.

It looked like a mooring for a small boat. Does this sound like what you saw?

The buoy in question is obvious - it is a fairly large yellow can with a tall antenna floating near the dividing line between Lovers 2 and 3.

I did venture a peak over at Lovers 2 but didn't see a mooring buoy. I did find a piece of rebar on one of my dives around that area and after last weekends OW class, I now understand why they are there but thats another story. The mooring buoys I'm used to seeing are a bit larger...

Attachments

• 133_2028.JPG
    133_2028.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 45
No, I it was smaller than that, and shaped like a cannister.
About 5-6" in diameter and maybe a foot tall out of the water, excluding the antenna.

That may be a Monterey Bay Yacht Club race buoy. There's one
just NW of the breakwater, another out by Shale Island. They
move around from time to time, I wish the Shale Island one
would move (too much sailboat traffic around us diving at
Shale Island).

oh really?! thanks for the correction...i'd be lost without your guidance.

Thanks for checking rdjiv, glad someone else saw the yellow cannister thingie, next time I find something interesting I'll follow it up, rather than wonder about what it's attached to :)

I just missed you again pacificgal! I was kayaking at Lover's 3 and then we dropped in for a dive at Lover's 1 yesterday. Did you see 2 kayakers watching the Molas being attacked by sealions and then just floating around Lover's 3 for a while? That was me and Paula (PKHamrick). :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom