Love the jets, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
update: i was able to solve most of my issues with the jets by (a) wearing (regular) socks inside my wetboots and (b) getting spring straps and then stretching them out because the ones I got (10") were still too tight. (the bungee straps I had used had also been too tight - I discovered loose straps are much better for me)

of course, now my calves are killing me from a week of diving with the jets and practicing the various kicks, but i suppose they will get used to it. the foot pocket is far from ideal but on balance i think the positives of these fins outweight the POS pockets...

Have you ever tried a neoprene sock? It holds the temperature unlike a regular socks. It is cheap and works very well. You can get it from www.campmor.com

2 Questions for the XXL Jet and Turtle users:

1) I'm told that the XXL Jets just enormous and unwieldy. True or is jsut a bigger foot pocket?

2) How do the Turtles stack up in terms of Bouyancy and overall performance? (kidspot, if you could only have 1... boot size is not an issue, what would it be)

hoosier:
Have you ever tried a neoprene sock? It holds the temperature unlike a regular socks. It is cheap and works very well. You can get it from www.campmor.com
Interesting... I wish I knew what that "one size" that fits all is. I would be wearing it over my drysuit "socks" so it would need to equate to a size 12 or 13 shoe size...

crlavoie:

1) I'm told that the XXL Jets just enormous and unwieldy. True or is jsut a bigger foot pocket?

2) How do the Turtles stack up in terms of Bouyancy and overall performance? (kidspot, if you could only have 1... boot size is not an issue, what would it be)
Giant foot pocket. The fin is about the same size as the XL. Check out kidspot's page and you will see.

hoosier:

no, but a regular sock worked fine. (i wasn't cold so that wasn't an issue). but thanks for the suggestion, I may buy a pair later for just in case...

cmalinowski:
Interesting... I wish I knew what that "one size" that fits all is. I would be wearing it over my drysuit "socks" so it would need to equate to a size 12 or 13 shoe size...

Divetank has a selective size up to XL. It is cheaper than the campmor's one.

https://www.divetank.com/gear/product.php?id=219

But, be careful. I have a mixed experienced with divetank. They charged in canadian so that I had to pay some fees on my credit card. I don't still get the ordered item a month ago. Even, they didn't reply to my inquiry about a fee and ordered item. :mad: It looks like they are very good only when you get the big money item, such as a computer or drysuit...:frustrate

Performance wise I prefer the stiffer blade of the Jets over Turtles, but the XXL (which have close to a 1/2 gallon capacity foot pocket) are very hard to find a good fitting boot with, and even harder to travel with. The foot pocket of the Turtles is much more flexible, and I am getting used to the softer feel in the water.

Aloha, Tim

crlavoie:

1) The XXL Jets are HUGE everywhere!!!

2) I tried the turtles and in terms o buoyancy they looked similar to jetfins to me but still to big for me. The pocket seemed too wide

crlavoie:

http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/ if you compare them to the XL Jet the blades are the same size. The footpockets are very different however. Both the XL & XXL are larger blades than the Large or Medium Jets however.

I'd go with Jets if they fit... I've even considered softening the rubber and remolding it to fit my boots... just haven't tried it yet... btw - bouyancy seems to be the same as the turtles... but Jets are stiffer.

Aloha, Tim

XX Jets will probably be too big. Give the Aqualung Super Rockets a try. I had the same problem, and had to scrap my Jets when wearing rocks. The rockets fit like they were custom made for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom