Love my SeaLife Micro 2.0 w/o lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@mi000ke, these were at shallow depths - no more than 50 ft I'd guess. I wish I'd paid for attention so I could be more accurate. Nothing is as shallow as 20 feet - I know that because once I hit 20 feet I'm doing my safety stop.

@CWK, I have the SeaLife 2.0 Micro. It's entirely enclosed so you will never have to open a housing and worry that it was closed without a hair or grain of sand creating a space for water to enter (or your wrist strap, as happened with my SeaLife DC1200)! It also has built in wifi - you don't need to have access to wifi as it creates it's own network - and you can download your pictures directly from your camera to your phone, using the SeaLife app. I LOVE this feature. It is a slow process, but after morning dives I'd get it processing the transfer of files while eating lunch and would be able to view them on my phone during dessert. Really cool feature. The macro lens is the one that is $99 (online and in shops). It's a great lens as long as you remember to take it off if you're taking pictures of anything further away than 5". For the money, this is a great setup. I KNOW I will never get the quality of pictures I could with a $2000+ setup, but this is amazing, small, easy to transport, has a charging cord so I don't need to pack batteries. For my needs, it's great.

Edit - I think I just answered your question a second time - sorry - but maybe a little more info to help you decide which way to go?

Hey SeaLife - can I get some brownie points for advertising?! ;D

@CWK, using the SeaLife app. I LOVE this feature. It is a slow process, but after morning dives I'd get it processing the transfer of files while eating lunch and would be able to view them on my phone during dessert. Really cool feature.

They really should give you some bennies for this. I had no idea that it had this functionality!

Kimela, mentioned all the things I love about my Micro 2.0. One thing she didn't mention is they have great customer service also. I had an Olympus with the tray and digital flashes, I had about $1100 invested. I got a thread caught in the o-ring and it flooded. It became an expensive paperweight. I sold the housing and digital flashes and bought the Micro 2.0 64gb, I think I could have saved $50 and gotten the 32gb because of how easy it is to download to my phone. Another great feature is when you are shooting video you can take a photo and the video doesn't stop.

Here is a video of a Nurse Shark at about 50 ft. deep unedited and no lights.

This is a photo taken while I was taking the video.
MICR0211.jpg

@soonerwink - great video and photo!! And I agree with you about the customer service too. When I was in Kona last September my camera flooded - and that wasn't supposed to be possible. I emailed SeaLife and they said that yes, there had been a known manufacturing problem and to take it to the LDS on Kona (they told me specifically which one and called them to let them know I'd be in). When I got there they upgraded me from my 32g to the 64g! I was bummed that I lost a morning of dives on my camera, but I was so impressed with the customer service that I then bought that macro lens! (I think I may have mentioned that story in a different thread on a different scubaboard forum - but worth mentioning again if anyone is in the decision making process).

Previously, SeaLife had worked with me on an issue with a SeaLife flashlight - evidently I was using the wrong kind of batteries so they weren't holding a charge. But they were nice, professional, and very helpful.

Just purchased the lens. Couple questions. So do you keep it the lens on the camera until you are ready to take pics and then decide whether to keep it on or remove? Do you attach it with the string that come attached to the lens and where do you attach the string. Do you use the distance sticks that come with it? I can't see those lasting very long. Trying to figure out the best way to keep the camera the way I attach it to my bc and deal with the lens and stick. Any suggestions most welcome. I use the camera with a micro tray and single light. I keep it rigged on by chest with a coil lanyard snapped to the left shoulder D ring and a bunge loop on the right should D ring which I loop over the light head. Stays flat on my chest and out of the way when not is use. I can't see having the stick attached to the lens when set up this way.

@tkaelin - I loop the string through the wrist strap of the camera. Yes, it occasionally gets twisted but easily untangles. I have the lens attached when I jump in the water and then usually have it off - and in my left hand - until I need it. That way I’m not accidentally taking non-macro pics with the lens on. I practiced taking pics with the stick in place, on dry land, to get a feel for “how close is correct” and then ditched the stick.

If you’re using a light tray it might not be practical to hold the lens in your hand when not in use. I’m sure you’ll learn to pop it off when necessary or figure out a solution that will work. It’ll take some getting used to. Congrats!! Can’t wait to see what you capture!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom